+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Gene Control

Gene Control

So.... You think you have free will when making a partner choice? You think when you go out there and enjoy the company of someone you think you like and then have those feelings for them that it's all happening by chance? Heh heh, you simpleton.

The more I read on the subject, the more I realize that our genes have long decided all of these things for us. Whose the right match, who will be perfect for us, who will be a long term partner and who will be a threat. They just give our conscious mind a benefit of a doubt before it fully catches on. They communicate their preferences to us by picking up visual, olfactory and auditory preferences of people we meet, these signals are scanned for potential good-gene indicator traits and compatibility with us. Everything we do, everything who we are our tone of voice, our actions, our looks, our smell, our thought patterns, our communication skills are all genetic signals and cues. A complicated pattern of stimuli to be matched with our genome preferences at the most basic level. They are later used as emotional triggers to control our behaviour, while our conscious mind is completely oblivious to all of these processes.

Fascinating isn't it?

Some resources of interest

[url]http://www.springerlink.com/content/q805v202631x3136/[/url]

[url]http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/15/9/1269[/url]

[url]http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=543473[/url]

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/emotions/lonelyhearts.shtml[/url]
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What about people who marry horses?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    What about people who marry horses?
    Hey, those horses might have some mighty fine genes man
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    They are later used as emotional triggers to control our behaviour, while our conscious mind is completely oblivious to all of these processes.
    Well, this thing we call "attraction" is the conscious mind's illusion of choice when it comes to partner selection.. Why do you suppose we pick partners who are more socially intelligent, academically intelligent, creative or talented, and have a certain look? Because we want these to pass on to our children.. not consciously.. but unconsciously..

I remember watching this show on the discovery channel, medical mysteries.. and it showed a town in Italy where there is a village full of people who share the same last name.. (Bau').. for over 400 years, there hasn't been one case of heart disease or diabetes.. and people on average live past 88! More remarkable was the diet, composed of traditional Italian food, rich in fats, cheeses, and sweets.. however, all the villagers showed very low levels of bad cholesterol, and high levels of good cholesterol, with very low levels of triglycerides.. Doctors were looking into their genetic composition for what could be responsible for these people's resistance to these, and account for their long life-span.. anyway.. when they asked one of the girls there to talk about her diet.. She was average-looking, but I could feel a switch flip inside of me.. I was feeling attracted, and for nothing else than the fact that my unconscious had registered what this woman's genes were, and what they would translate to in my children.. my mind was trying to motivate me to breed with her, so my children would carry those genes.. This is in effect what happens around any good genes.. When your unconscious picks up on it, and realizes that it's good for your potential kids, it wants to motivate you to breed, and to do that, it has to foward the message to your conscious, in the form of the feeling of "attraction".. ( hence, why DHV-ing is so important )

But what I think is MORE interesting is the flip-side to that.. Have you ever dated a great-looking girl, who was fun, funny, playful, smart, interesting, focused, emotionally stable, understanding, considerate, the works.. Only to meet her mother? And then when you saw her mother, you could see your date being like that in about 10-15 years.. but more importantly, you could see those genes passing along to your children.. Have you ever dated someone and then found out that her family had some history of some illness? Did you notice how you immediately felt? Your mind does send off the message.. "DEAL-BREAKER! ABORT! ABORT!"..

Very interesting links.. and one more thing to consider.. I think this affects women more than it affects men, the switch/trigger is more developed for women than it is in men as a result of society/culture and gender roles..

But genes aside, 21st Century "survival value" is a big factor.. Imagine meeting this great girl.. i'm not going to bother going on and on about how perfect she is in every single way.. but for.., one little thing..., she's doing nothing with her life.. she loves poetry and loves to read, and bounces from guy to guy to guy until one guy settles for her.. but she has no job and a future lifetime earning potential so low that it can practically be ignored.. This doesn't directly affect your children.. but your unconscious still picks up on it and sends the message to your conscious that this is unattractive.. because the survival and success of your children is not only linked to good genes, but good (income, status, connections, etc) of both parents.. and if that is missing, then it will have the effect of killing the motivation to breed with that partner..

To top it off.. I think I mentioned this before on this forum, about the Valentine's Day special on Sex & Attraction in humans.. how humans are unique in the sense that we are of the few mamals, and only primates, that require both parents for the children to stand a reasonable chance of survival.. So there's an other factor that comes into play.. a factor that will make sure that your partner will stick around in the long-term.. "loyalty, fidelity".. When there is evidence to believe that your partner doesn't have this.. a switch flips off, and the partner automatically seems less attractive.. again! This is one of those switches/triggers that is more developed in women than it is in men.. Thousands of years of evolution is responsible for this.. But since women feel it so strongly, they unconsciously beleive that men feel this just as strongly.. and this perhaps explains why you wind up with the phenomenon of a woman's weapon against other women.. "ugh.. she's such a slut/wh0re"... very interesting..

Some things to ponder over..

Best,

GrkScorp
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    She was average-looking, but I could feel a switch flip inside of me.. I was feeling attracted, and for nothing else than the fact that my unconscious had registered what this woman's genes were, and what they would translate to in my children.. my mind was trying to motivate me to breed with her, so my children would carry those genes.. This is in effect what happens around any good genes.. When your unconscious picks up on it, and realizes that it's good for your potential kids, it wants to motivate you to breed, and to do that, it has to foward the message to your conscious, in the form of the feeling of "attraction".. ( hence, why DHV-ing is so important )
    That's some funny stuff Scorp

I agree with what you said. What I get out of this is, thoughts, conscious decisions, rational thought patterns are all extremely unimportant when it comes to attraction. They are only important when you can use them to stratigically put the "attraction cues" in place for the other person. Attraction will be genereated by a whole range of other mean, with the main motivator being compatibility at the genetic level.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I said it before guys, go read 'The Red Queen'. Its all in there & a good read.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh