+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Will he regret it?

Will he regret it?

Hi everyone,

My (now) ex and I were together for 1 and a half years and broke up a little over 3 weeks ago.
    We had a happy relationship for the first year and the last 6 months were truly testing, however, I was more than willing to work on whatever issues we were having. Since both our final year of university started, we were finding it a little difficult to balance spending time with each other and concentrate on our work. I was always the one who would initiate spending time with each other and even talking to each other! I felt like I was the only one who was putting in the effort (even throwing him a surprise birthday party tho weeks beforehand) and by the end, I was sick of it. We had a fight (over FaceTime!) and this time, I didn't care and had the intention of breaking up with him as I know I deserve somebody who WANTS to see/speak to me rather than sees it as a chore. Anyways, two days after that fight, I text him saying we had to meet up as soon as possible (he probably had an inkling that I was going to end it), he then replied...and he broke up with me via text.
    He cited reasons such as he had to concentrate on his studies now and can't be in a relationship right now and that we were just too different as people. I lost a whole load of respect for him purely for the way he did it and I suppose it still confuses me now that he could just do that to me, considering he would always call me the love of his life and all that nonsense!
    I am friends with his sister and spoke to her shortly after it happened and 'coincidentally' I received a text from him two days after I spoke to her (about a week after we broke up) apologising for how he did it, how he's tried to be respectful of me since (which his social media begs to differ) and thanking me for the time we spent together. Although this all sounds alright, the message was full of him talking about himself and pretty much not considering how I would feel about all this, he even tried to justify the initial 'break up text'.
    I didn't reply to the apology text as I see no point, he also said that he would erase my number and all memory of me as that's best for him right now. And yesterday I have seen that he's blocked me on twitter, I found this funny more than anything else seeing as we weren't following each other anyway!
    The more I think about it, the more I realise I am better off and that I am able to walk away from this relationship with no regrets regarding the way I treated him or how much I did for him. Did I mention that I lent him my old phone to borrow before we broke up? So essentially, he broke up with me using my phone! It really is laughable.

Overall, I know I will be fine and as the days pass, I am feeling better. But, do you think he will ever realise what he's lost in me? Or perhaps regret letting me go?

Honestly, I totally get where you are coming from. I gave my ex a spare iPhone which now she's using to text and call another guy. I did it because I felt like I would care for this person regardless if we are together. Later I found out that she start dating another guy just 1 month after our 3 year relationship. I let her know the pain i was in and she did nothing. Now i regret the time, energy, and devotion i spent on this person when they wanted to cut me out of their life/memory. Good guys get hurt...

My advice is not to hang to a relationship where you might be the only one still investing in. Don't do that to yourself... I'm trying not to

it is difficult to see the future. but having left a few men behind, and not finding the right one yet, i have half regrets. i definitely appreciate my ex's differently now, and can more fully appreciate their good qualities, and their bad qualities.

if one of my ex's became insanely wealthy, i would feel some regret. especially if i broke up with them!

it is unfortunately part of finding the right person will involve having to "try" being with different people. we meet someone, we are both incredibly "in love" or infatuated for months and then reality starts to creep back in. we often try to keep things gong in spite of challenges and doubts about our partner. knowing the reasons that we stay in a relationship can be helpful. sometimes we just need a port in a storm. or we believed this person could be "the one".

we are all trained to believe in finding a partner in life. we are told this is our highest goal, after this, children. and yet, many people never find their true love.
    in the end, we all have to learn to be happy with our life without the expectation of someone else to make things better.

one last thought, this fellow definitely sounds immature. you seem to have a great attitude. it is definitely an interesting synchronicity that your phone was used to break up with you. maybe it is your higher self helping you get what you really want, a fuller and more satisfying life than he was offering you!

What? He would regret breaking up with you? Hun the guy checked out a long time ago when he stopped making an effort to see you, so I doubt there is regret any regret on his end. If there was he would have tried to get back with you. I think he did you a favor by removing himself from a relationship he didn't want to be in anymore. Some relationships just run their course. There doesn't have to be fights, arguments, abuse or infidelity. You are young, enjoy your youth, date different guys, flirt, dance have fun. Go out with the girlies and go crazy.

Will he regret ending it? Unlikely. Given that he checked out ages ago, his regret is more likely to be that he didn't end it sooner. I certainly don't regret ending any of my relationships.

You and he will both eventually become a distant memory to each other. And both of you will go on to experience dating many other people. Some will be great, some not so great...and eventually you'll both find 'the one'.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I think he'll regret it once he's with someone else and finds that she just isn't anywhere near as nice as you were