+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend's cooking - help please

Girlfriend's cooking - help please

I have an awesome girlfriend who always wants to cook with me. The problem is this...she likes to experiment with food, and her experiments are never good. For example, she said she would make me spaghetti, which I like, but my spaghetti had spam, corn, and cheddar cheese in it. She thought it would be "unique". That's just one example. There is always something that totally doesn't belong in the food (another example...she made me clam chowder, but put mustard and vinegar in it to give it kick).

It is becoming an issue. I've very nicely told her that I really appreciate her cooking for me, but I like my food simple. I've asked her to make my food normally and then if she wants to experiment, add the other ingredients after setting aside my food. She says I'm not being supportive and that she is trying to be a great cook and I'm not helping her.

I'm all for her effort here, but it is just so misguided that I don't know what to do. She doesn't want to take cooking lessons because she wants to create great dishes on her own. The stuff she does makes no sense at all, and actually ruins the food.

I'm at a loss. What do I do?

P.S. - before you say it, I do cook for her. But I follow recipes. She says my food is boring because of it.

Ok, I can see a teaspoon of seeded mustard in clam chowder....but not the vinegar. Wouldn't the vinegar curdle the cream?

I'm sorry - I have no practical advice for you - and you also have the distinction of being the first person I've seen who's written this problem. However, I can say that I never did resolve the problem of my ex-husband putting too many random herbs in his spaghetti bolognaise. Though divorce did eventually solve the issue once and for all.

While it's lovely to have someone cook for us, the enjoyment is based on having food which is edible. Perhaps she could compromise? Perhaps cook by a recipe 75% of the time?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

It's great that she's so into cooking when most people just eat out or have ready made meals. And I applaud you for even attempting to eat that spaghetti! Maybe suggest you take a joint cooking course at a local community college. It will give her the basics and know how of what foods and flavors belong together plus it will be quality time together as well.
    Good luck!!!

I would love to eat that spaghetti. Sounds tasty, corc is tasty, ham is tasty and cheese is tasty - all together even more taste.
    Would suggest you to go with Basils advice - Never regret anything that has cooked in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will