+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is ignoring someone in a work place acceptable?

Is ignoring someone in a work place acceptable?

We don't work same shifts since I work over nights and she works days.However,i ran into her in parking lot sometimes or see her around work.I say hi,how are you and she ignores me.she used to be friendly towards me.

I think the reason why she is ignoring me is I pointed out she put on so much weight almost a year ago.I am not proud of it.It was just a thoughtless comment on my part and I wish i could take it back.I apologized to her when she told me she was hurt by it.She would respond when I say hi but she woudnt say hi first or initiate a convo.

Now she completely ignores when I see her in the elevators .Its been almost a year since and she has lost the weight again. Could she be mad about my comment. She should get over it? Is this behaviour acceptable on a work place?

Sorry this is so uncomfortable for you. But providing that she's not engaging in actively bullying you, she can ignore you if she wants.

Yes, the weight gain comment probably has a bit to do with it and it's possible you've said other things which have sat poorly in the past which she hasn't told you about. Thing is though, there's no rule to say that one must be friends with everyone or that they must forgive. She's made her choice and there's nothing you can do about it other than accept it, learn from it and move forward.

good luck
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

If she is that petty considering you take give her apologies, don't care that she is ignoring you, but if she gets others to ignore you and you know she is doing it you can complain about her if it affects your working environment.

You can either ignore her back or take her aside and ask what her issue is with you. I've never dealt with a similar situation, sorry I can't offer more help.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”