+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is he interested?

Is he interested?

There is a guy in my friendship group who I see him once a month when we all go out. Lately every time I see him the first thing he asks is how the dating is going. I try to change the subject but he says we can talk about 'life' later. He asks if I have been on dates, how often do I get asked out and when did I last have a boyfriend. He smiles when he asks these questions. Is he interested in me or just nosy?

Why don't you just turn it on him and ask him why he wants to know.

You know, as a guy myself, I can't imagine I'd ever be so bold as to ask a gal that unless she was just a friend, and we were well established as friends. Sort of in the same way I might ask a male friend that same question. So, I can't really help with any certainty to guess what he may be thinking. I know my gut instinct would be to say he wouldn't be asking unless there was a reason he wanted to know the answer.

Have you answered when he asked? What were your answers (were you dating or single at the time)? What were his reactions to your answers? That would give you some context clues as to what he may be thinking. As smackie said, though, the only way you'd really know (unless he actually makes a move to ask you out) would be if you ask. Could be he is interested, could be he is just being a concerned friend. You won't know (and nor would we) unless you ask. Maybe just playfully ask "Why? Is that you're way of asking me out?" (With a smile and a wink.) If he's not you can just play it off like you were just teasing, but if he is interested that could give him the encouragement needed to make his move. Good luck.

If a guy kept asking my questions like that I would straight up ask: why do you wanna know?

Problem solved right there unless the guy lies to your face.

What if he lies to her elbow or some other body part instead? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Why don't you just turn it on him and ask him why he wants to know.
    The guy sounds pretty passive, so this could just fluster him and drive him away.

If he asks again, tell him the truth and ask if he'd like to go out.

If it drives him away he ain't that into you.

Wondering why you change the subject when he asks.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHappyTime1 View Post
    The guy sounds pretty passive, so this could just fluster him and drive him away.

If he asks again, tell him the truth and ask if he'd like to go out.
    Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    If it drives him away he ain't that into you.
    Yeah, maybe. It depends, though, on how she asks. In other words, my suggestion would be to ask in an almost playful/teasing manner. Kind of a wink and a nudge type of a way.

I am really shy (and used to be even worse). If I had asked something like this, and in my case it was a sort of veiled attempt to figure out if she may be single so I could try to get up the nerve to ask her out, it might depend on how she responded. If she responded by asking me why I wanted to know, but it almost sounded accusatory and/or suspicious, that might cause me to second guess asking her out. However, if she teasingly, with a smirk, asked why I wanted to know, that may have actually encouraged me to ask her out.

Then again, maybe not. I was ridiculously frigging shy. I still am pretty shy, but I am working on it these days. Anyway, my point being, I think asking him why he wants to know is a good idea, but it is all in HOW you ask.