+ Follow This Topic

Thread: can a girl be over complimentary

can a girl be over complimentary

I've been looking to buy my first place through my estate agent.
    What I thought would be a horrible process, has turned out unexpectedly pleasant. His advice does seem genuine, and not like he's just trying to suck money out of me. During our viewings in the car, he opens up quite easily about himself and tells me all these hilarious stories. You know that feeling when you feel like you really connect with someone.

He's married so I know there are boundaries. But I couldn't have asked for more to have him as my agent. He's so up for helping answer all my questions and I feel so thankful that it's him and not some other agent.

So during an email exchange I told him that I was grateful that he was onboard this process, and that I appreciated his patience and knowledge during this. For some reason I feel like I exposed myself a bit. I mean i genuinely am thankful for his help, although I have enjoyed our conversations as well (I didn't tell him that part). Can one be over complimentary? I don't know why but I feel like in a small way I may have crossed the line. Even though all I really have done is say how grateful I am to have him around to help during this first time buying process.

If I have gone over the line, I don't know how to reverse it now!

I don't know how you worded it but what you said you put sounds perfectly fine. I've also put this sort of context in business emails to those who have helped out a great deal and who I've never met. It sounds like the way you're feeling is making it feel different to you.
    Did you respond to an email he sent or did you just randomly email him out of the blue? There is a difference in that... Just be cautious if you feel like you connect, I started with this.. and its led to nothing but trouble. Its best he doesn't know your feelings. If you feel exposed now...pull back. If it's purely a business arrangement ( he's your real estate agent) keep it that way. Try not to go out of your way to contact him unless its helping you with real estate. Btw I'm a female...I know you've posted in Ask a Male....but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in ☺

It doesn't sound like you've said anything that was inappropriate. What made you think that you've crossed the boundaries? Clients often try to build a good relationship by saying good things and being friendly.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

He's a real estate agent. Being charming and a good conversationalist is all part of what makes a good salesman. Don't worry - I'm sure this reaction to him happens all the time
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Thanks everyone, your thoughts help a lot! I feel better about it now. It wasn't an email out of the blue either, was just tagged on to another house related thing he was helping me understand.

Sometimes I feel like he offers me advice as a friend who's been through the experience and stress of buying a house - I feel like he goes an extra mile to explain stuff to me just cos he knows and wants to help. I haven't ever felt like he's trying to get money out of me - either he's just super charming and has me wrapped around his fingertips! or he genuinely wants to see that I go through this process with as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks everyone - I will proceed with caution now!

That's why people with charm and finesse are sales people...successful sales people, and by the sounds of it he can sell ice to an Eskimo.