+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is there a way to work this out?

Is there a way to work this out?

Ok so I went with this guy to another city. All we did was hang out we didn't have sex at all. But when he told me to message my mom on Facebook to tell her where I'm at but as soon as I told her she freaked out. She told my dad an he called the police an told them that I was missing which I wasn't.
    But when I came back to my city my parents were happy to see me again all I did was make my own decision since I'm almost 24 and he's 28. My dad tells me if he gets near me that he'll go to jail but I do want to see him again because we both like each other.

But how can I get my dad to forgive him for what he did?

Also my mom said he should of came by an said he was sorry for what he did but he didn't he just went straight home because he drove 3 hours to take me home.

Is there a way for my dad to forgive for what he did like should I have him come over to talk to my dad or what?

Please help me!

I'm 23 and he's 28 and I really like him but I don't want to stop seeing him because it'll make me sad.

23 going on 13.

Any reason why you're not working and out on your own if you want to not adhere to your parents rules? Is it because you lack in common sense and you don't have the ability to keep yourself safe when meeting strangers from the internet for the first time?

Why didn't you tell your parents where you would be going? Was it because of all your other threads in that your dad doesn't want you seeing this guy.

Do you have a developmental issue that you're not telling us about or something?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    23 going on 13.

Any reason why you're not working and out on your own if you want to not adhere to your parents rules? Is it because you lack in common sense and you don't have the ability to keep yourself safe when meeting strangers from the internet for the first time?

Why didn't you tell your parents where you would be going? Was it because of all your other threads in that your dad doesn't want you seeing this guy.

Do you have a developmental issue that you're not telling us about or something?

This is why I don't get on these forums because of these dumb comments I get from people.

I assume you are from a very traditional and/or religious family? Did your parents know your are dating this guy before you went on the trip together? Even though at the age you're at they shouldn't have overreacted like that, you could have probably let them know about your plans so that they wouldn't worry about you disappearing for the weekend. The guy not having met your parents before or afterwards does not help the situation. If you really care about what your famikly thinks of him, invite him for a family dinner or take him and your parents for a trip somewhere, even a meal out so that they cannot be hostile without embarrassing themselves in public. But you should know that at your age you don't really have to have your family's approval - unless their hunch is right and he is not a good influence on you. But that's a thing for you to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by allytiger View Post
    This is why I don't get on these forums because of these dumb comments I get from people.
    That's the sting of reality slapping you right across the face. What Wakeup said was spot on. If you just want a bunch of mindless robots to tell you what you want to hear...then you're in the wrong place. If you're really 23 and your folks are *that* in your business, then there's something you're not sharing and it's relevant to the story. No one will be able to offer any sensible guidance with half the facts.
    Pain is what the world does to you, suffering is what you do to yourself. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

I am going to have to agree with the general consensus here. You are 23. Why are your parents THAT up in your business? If they have legit reasons to be so concerned (ex: you've proven not trustworthy, or have proven poor judgment in the past) then I could understand. I don't know if that is the case with you or not.

However, to call the police and report you as missing when they knew you were not was not only a HUGE overreaction, but was also illegal. Your father broke the law. Do your parents have a history of overreacting like this? Because that is really not okay. At some point they need to let you grow up.

Now, believe me, I do not mean any judgment in anything I say. I just honestly feel like something must be missing from this story, and as solarion has said, we can't help you without all of the relevant details.

If you have proven poor judgment in the past then perhaps your parents overreaction was understandable even if not justifiable. IF that is the case, then I think you perhaps need to learn better judgment, and perhaps even accept your parents' help in doing so. If, on the other hand, they just tend to overreact like this, then now is the time to put your foot down. Tell them you appreciate that they love you and want to protect you, but that you are an adult and they need to let you live your life.

I'm not you and I'm not your parents, so without being psychic I cannot tell which is the case. I do wish you the best of luck either way, though. I hope things work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by allytiger View Post
    Begs the question then why you keep getting on these forums???? You always have the same type of questions as well.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion