+ Follow This Topic

Thread: If you have nothing in common...will it work/???

If you have nothing in common...will it work/???

I connected with someone through Instagram who lives right in my neighborhood, - how convenient!! So we followed each other and soon started talking on the phone and seemingly hit it off pretty well. As a few days progressed, though, I realized we have nothing in common even though he clearly saw everything I was about through my Instagram, he approached me first asking if we can get to know each other... Ok, I like meeting new people..but...

He was being all sweet and caring and planning a date for us, but he doesn't like to do ANY of the things I enjoy. I love to go running - he's a big guy who got back problems and isn't too mobile... I love the beach and he likes to spend time at home watching TV with his dog. I'm VERY active and when I told him I like those things, he joked around with me that I'm an inspiration we can compromise about our interests.

I broke it off with him after a lot of thinking and realizing that I want someone who can participate in the activities I love to do WITH ME...and we never met because I really felt like if I was with him, I'd have to sacrifice all the things I enjoy or not spend much time with him at all since we both like completely different things.
    Also, he likes metal-head goth women and zombies, as he's into all that macabre stuff, and I'm NOT - I like happy and bright things.

Was I too harsh on him? I didn't think about using Instagram as a dating site and we'd only been talking for 4 days before I gathered enough information to feel we're really not capatible and in the long-run, I think it would have negatively affected our time together. In addition, I want to join and gym and run 5K races, he is completely not into self-health and keeping himself fit.
    Was I being selfish or realistic and saving us both time from wasting time when there's no common interest other than we're both single...

No, I think you two are not compatible. You should never have to feel like you are sacrificing anything you enjoy to be more appealing to another person. There are plenty of available men out there who would be interested in at least the majority of the same things you are.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Take it from me who has been with someone for over 26 years.....you NEED compatibility for the long haul. And I'm not talking about favorite food or color, it has to include your interests, what you are passionate about, your perspective on life, politics, and values. You want to be with someone who shares all that with you.