+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My boyfriend and I have very different views

Quote Originally Posted by kerriedrum95 View Post
    Thanks for all of your responses. I was hoping that you three in particular would comment as I love your advice on other threads.
    Oh wow! Thank you. I'm glad that I found your thread, then. I feel honored when people seem to appreciate my advice. Makes me feel I've done even a little good in this terrible world we live in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kerriedrum95 View Post
    I am grateful that this happened because I see now what his true feelings are. He said that he used to care for what should and shouldn't be vocalised, but now he says that people in general are awful. He is also saying that I am telling him what he should say and he is definitely on the defensive.
    There is actually nothing else that I could say to him.
    Honestly, as weird as it may sound "grateful" is actually a great feeling to have in this situation. Grateful that you found this out sooner rather than later. Imagine if you'd been with him longer, gotten closer, only to find this out about him then.

Better that you learn he is a scumbag now rather than to learn it after you'd become more serious... or gotten married or anything like that. Or, God forbid, imagine if you'd brought children into this world with this a-hole and only THEN learned this about him.

I do have to sadly admit that I agree with him that people are generally awful in this day and age. That is, at least, my life experience. Thing is.... that doesn't give you an excuse to be an awful person too. That makes him no better. Hell, it makes him worse. He is aware of the awful word we live in today, and instead of choosing to do his best to be better than that.... he chooses to just make it worse. I have a low opinion of humans in general..... but that doesn't mean I would EVER condone senseless violence like the Holocaust. That he could even joke about such a thing, whether he's just joking about it or not, says a lot about his character. In other words, he has very little of it.

You deserve better... and let's face it... you couldn't do much worse. Good luck to you. You'll find somebody who deserves you some day. It isn't this guy, for sure.

Yes i can also agree that people in general are intolerable today (just see what happened during the election and now.. its all very stupid).
    At the same time that he can not discuss it and allow altering opiniong other than his own (you "can't tell him what to say") and turn it on you...

and again. the lakc of empathy for thepain of others which is a LOT different than just ("most people are awful")..

that's a whole other ball game. and he's covering for that fact.

There are some views you can compromise on and some you can't. I think you'll know at your core what's right for you.

Yeah, I think that actually boils it down to the perfect summary. In some things, you just can't compromise, and I think wanting somebody with some basic human decency certainly should be one of those things.

Hes a Hitler.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12