+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I don't want them to get hurt.

I don't want them to get hurt.

I have a good friend. Let's call him A. I really like talking with him. He's intelligent, witty, funny, respectful and a little shy. There is another guy, let's call him B. A and B are friends. The three of us are classmates, but I had never talked with B. Last year, A started mentioning B a lot whenever we were talking. I understood that B had asked A to try and set us up. A didn't say it directly, but I understood. I later told him that I too have a crush on B, but I don't want a relationship. I don't want anything. It's just that he looks good. I don't even know him.
    A few months back, A started acting a little weird. When I confronted him, he asked me a simple question : "Why do you smile whenever you see me? For so long?" I knew where it was going. I said I do that for all my friends. He asked me again. I just repeated what I had already said before. He dropped it. I was awkward for some time after that. But then we were alright again.
    B and I realized that we had the same taste in movies, so we started exchanging them. It got us to talking, and I realized that my attraction was purely based on how he looks. I got over my crush VERY quickly. It's not that I did not like talking with him, I just didn't like him in that way.
    A, B and I are friends. A tries to tease us. I tell him not to. B just started telling me private things about his friend group, even though the two of us are not that close. And B does realize this. He knows A and I are much closer than he and I are. But he doesn't know that A had acted on his feelings for me.
    I know that A is not over his feelings, and B is a little too excited. All this time, I had been thinking only about how I have to face awkward situations, but now I think about how they must be feeling. B knows A and I are a lot closer that he and I are, and I don't think he feels very good about it. A and I are really frank with each other, and B and I can never talk that way. A probably feels he's the third wheel. Though he knows that I am very much over my crush (I told him to try to stop him from teasing us), I think he feels that he is just being dragged along as a communication channel.
    Please tell me how I should proceed so that neither of them gets hurt.

What is this, a quiz? I cannot face reading it beyond the first few sentiments.