+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to act....When tragedy hits someone you're recently starting dating?

How to act....When tragedy hits someone you're recently starting dating?

Hi There, I’ve been dating this guy for a couple of months. We seem to like each other very much & taking it slow. We are living our own lives but getting to know each other, hanging out & becoming really good friends. We talk about the future a lot. Over the last month or so he’s dad has become exceptionally ill, so obviously that’s become a priority for him. Though the communication between us has died down, we are still talking to each other & he’s keep me posted on his dads progress. I assume this is a good thing? My only concern is I don’t really know what to do, i do care about him a lot. It’s a fairly new relationship so I don’t want to intrude & I want to give him space. I feel like a broken record but always say to him I’m here for him & if he needs to chat he can always call me. He always says thank you. Every 3-4 days i check up on him and he always replies. I’m also concern that this going to change our relationship? Any advice?

You're doing good. You're showing that you care, and you're giving him space when he needs it. Just be patient.

As for a change in your relationship. Well, it's a very emotionally traumatic event, which its natural for us men to shutdown when going through this kind of stuff.
    A lot of us don't want to talk about our problems (but we certainly still appreciate when a woman shows she cares), and we will seclude ourselves.
    Eventually he will be back, it may take a good amount of time. None the less I think your bond will be stronger for enduring through this.

It's how men handle issues like this, they go off to their mancave, figure shit out and return.
    Whereas with women, they typically handle issues by talking it through with others.

One big thing I've learned is the importance of listening in regards to communication.
    People just like to be heard at times, and you listening is what they need.
    You dont have to offer advice, or pick me up phrases or motivational speeches. You just listen. It helps them.

I think people make the mistake where they think they have to solve another person's problems. But in reality, that other person may not be looking for your advice at all.
    Last edited by GLYC; 05-07-17 at 01:10 AM.

What about inviting him over for dinner, so he can relax and chill for sometime outside of the situation with his dads health and further your connection with him? Ask him what you can do to help him during this time if you care about him.