+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would anyone else be annoyed with this?

Would anyone else be annoyed with this?

So it's happened a few times where my boyfriend will choose a movie and I just don't get into it and end up falling asleep on the couch. I don't mean to and I do try to stay awake but sometimes the movie is just boring and not my cup of tea quite frankly.

He gets irritated with me and says that I'm not open minded enough or that how can I say the movie is boring when I fell asleep and didn't give it a real chance.

We have been together 7 months and we also live together since 2 months ago.

I try to explain to him when this happens that I am pretty much a black and white person. I either like something or I don't. He knows this about me from the beginning. I'm the same way with music and songs, I will know within seconds if I like a song or not. He is the opposite of me where he isn't as fussy and is open to a lot more genres of music and movies. Therefore he tends to give those things a bit more of a chance.
    He thinks that I should at least sit through a movie with him even if I'm not enjoying it because he thinks it's a way to make an effort for him as a partner. I agree with this for other areas of interest. So for example he likes rock climbing and I've never done it before but I would be willing to give it ago and if I didn't like it I would probably only do it occasionally with him as a way of making effort in the relationship. But a movie that is boring seriously wouldn't that send anyone to sleep? Am I wrong for not trying harder with the movie thing? I mean there are lots of movies that we both like and enjoy together and we have got at least 6 Netflix TV series that we both love together so it's not as if there is nothing we can watch together. I just think it's unrealistic for him to expect me to sit through something I just dont like and then try to make me feel bad for it afterwards.

If these are the type of problems you have, your relationship should be in a great spot. I agree with you that it is very easy to fall asleep in movies. Are these movies he really loves and he just wants to share them with you or are you watching them for the first time? Regarding the effort to him as a partner, that's bullcrap. There are a million things you can do show your commitment, and watching a boring movie is not one of them. Heck, I will flip through movies/shows the second I think I don't like it. There are too many things to do and movies to watch to have to suffer through a boring one.

Our relationship is great for the most part, we do love each other but we also have a disagreement here and there so pretty normal stuff.

Most of the time it's a movie that neither of us have seen.

Yeah I just think this is him acting a little childish over something I class as very trivial. I mean there are more important things to argue about surely. Maybe the age difference is sneaking in here a little, he is 37 and I just turned 44, obviously I'm a little more mature.

well 37 isn't exactly a spring chicken. He should understand to not make a big deal of this.

I agree that if this is your biggest problem, then your relationship sounds pretty darn good. ...However, you cared enough about this to come ask for our thoughts. So, let me say this...

I am young than both of you..... and I sometimes can't help but fall asleep while trying to watch movies or TV shows I LOVE. Sometimes it has just been a busy day and I am so tired I can't fight it. I've also found, funny enough, that no matter how much I love them, some shows/movies just have a sort of calming effect that puts me to sleep if I am not careful. On a side note, it annoys the Hell out of me because I WANT to watch them. LOL! But, I think I may have recently stumbled onto a way of sitting that helps keep me up and viewing happily, yet still comfortable.

Anyway, back to the point.... so yeah, gut reaction, I would agree that I think he is over-reacting. You can't help it if you don't like a certain movie any more than you can help it if you like certain music, a certain book, or anything like that. I mean, I can't really know since I'm not you or him, but is it maybe possible that you are one of those people who is overly cynical with movies? Somebody who 99 out of 100 times won't like the movie?

If so, I could understand his frustration.... but that still doesn't make him right or you wrong. Even if you are one of those closed-minded types who almost always hates every movie, that is perfectly within your right to be that way. I don't get the impression you are that way. I could be wrong, but based on your story it sounds a little more like he's just very open to almost anything. So that, in turn, means you two wind up watching a lot of things that wind up not interesting you.

I actually can kind of relate to this quite a bit because it is like my best friend and I. So, obviously a little different since that is a friendship not a relationship. But, I LOVE movies and can watch all kinds. Though even I have my limits, I can actually watch completely stupid or even really bad movies if they are stupid and/or bad in the right kind of way to where I still find them entertaining. I am also a fan of watching movies I love enough many many times. I'll watch them again all the time.

My best friend, on the other hand, has more discerning tastes. He doesn't like stupid movies and doesn't find enjoyment in bad movies even if they seem like the entertainingly bad kind of way. ....Yet we managed to always find TONS of movies we both enjoyed. So, I think maybe you two just need to meet in the middle a little and learn to pick movies more likely to interest you both. No reason he can't watch the other stuff on his own sometimes. Granted, I know you don't always know whether or not you are going to like a movie until you actually watch it, but you can at least get a sense from the previews if it seems like something you may enjoy.

So, yeah. Agreed that this really shouldn't be as big a deal as it seems he makes it. You can't help what you do and do not like. It would be one thing if you actually AREN'T giving things a fair chance and are just deciding you hate it without even trying. It doesn't sound to me like that is the case, though. You can't help if a movie doesn't interest you enough to the point where you can't even keep yourself awake. Not only that, but it is extremely boring to sit through watching something that just doesn't interest you. If it is something you would have turned off and given up on watching if you were watching it all by yourself, then you can't really help that.

Tell him to not pick boring shit
    *joking*

Seriously though. Maybe you are not open enough
    Then he can either get himself another girlfriend,
    Stop bickering and deal with it
    Or pick something that you like too

I think that this falls under the category first world problems

- - - Updated - - -

For example
    My wife watches those really corny relationship dramas
    Emanzipation n shit

If I watch that I constantly start to laugh and drop funny as shit lines about the shitty actors or the shitty script or whatever
    And she usually throws me out of the living room telling me to play games or whatever

And we don’t have a problem with it

Think he was overreacting especially like you said in your post you both have 6 Netflix shows you are engaged in watching with him, so who cares if you fall asleep on one boring movie you are still spending time beside him, you should be able to surf your phone if you wanted if the movie bored you in the comfort of youer own home, or even go make you both some food. He needs to give a little more, and maybe next movie you pick.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

Contact Dr. DUGO on E-mail: dugo_d()yahoo.com, he has the spiritual charm to make everything right back for you. Trust me

trying to fill up my 15 posts to PM sorry.