+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Odds of losing a permanent restraining order I placed on ex gf in California?

Odds of losing a permanent restraining order I placed on ex gf in California?

I hired an attorney to file a temporary restraining order against an ex. Due to the evidence, the TRO was granted and the person was served. That person, however, asked for a continuance, meaning she wants to fight this and hire an attorney. But not sure what she wants to fight. To still harass me every day and make my life a living hell?

I stopped communication and then the daily harassment began, after we broke it off. Hundreds of calls, text messages and threats of violence.

If she does hire an attorney. What possible angle will defense attorney use in this case. Don't they care about their success rate?All I asked for is no contact,. The last text message I received, she perfectly described my home and said she was two blocks away She's 22. I spent over 2,200 so far on attorney fees.

I never harmed her or physically threatened her. I've only seen her 4x, mutual hook up from dating app.

What shall I do if for some reason the judge does not want to grant any contact order? I'm nervous because im starting a new life and moving to a new home. She has hired a PI to find my previous addresses a few months ago and sent screenshots to me. Her reasoning, she was concerned about me.

Didn't you just get done telling us you hired an attorney? So, why are you asking us this? To a bunch of random, faceless strangers on a LOVE forum? Ask your lawyer. He/she is a trained professional who can probably answer all of these questions for you. Myself, I have never had to take a restraining order out on anybody, nor has one ever been taken out on me. So I don't really know how they work at all.

I'l say this, though... Hold onto any evidence you may have. You mentioned she texts you obsessively... even to the point of accurately describing your home and saying she's nearby. Save those texts. Evidence to prove that your request is warranted will certainly not hurt your case. I don't see why your request would be denied... but I am no expert on the subject matter. So I wouldn't know.

Chances are, the judge will find on your side. She has no sane reason--"because I want what I want" isn't a good enough argument and the judge knows that.

Make sure your attorney has the countenance of a sanguineous shark and will eviscerate her arguments on the stand.

You have a right to be left alone which supersedes her desire to remain in contact with you.
    People treat you the way they feel about you

If you choose to remain with someone who doesn't treat you well, you cease being the victim and become the volunteer.

~Derrick Jaxn -- look him up

Yeah, I was also thinking that too. I don't exactly know how somebody would contest a restraining order. Or, for that matter, what is even the point of doing so? Again, I don't know all the details about them, but I assume they have no negative impact on you other than you cannot go within X amount of distance from that person. I don't THINK they are public record or anything like that. So, if somebody feels that strongly about not wanting you near them, why not just take the hint? Otherwise, it essentially seems like you are trying to contest it so you can still "legally" harass them.

I mean, unless they happen to work in the same building or something to where she could actually have an argument that a restraining order would be unfair to her unless you can prove it is actually warranted. I'll assume, though, that there are no circumstances like that where she actually could not feasibly avoid you. So, again, I don't see any sensible argument she'd have for contesting the restraining order. Again, though, I'm no lawyer.