+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What to do? :/

What to do? :/

Me (18) and my girlfriend (16) have been seeing eachother for about 6 months. But just the other day she wanted to take a break because she was confused about everything in her life. We talked but we stayed together, then another day later, she said that we need a break for sure. The reason for doing this is that she is/said was depressed with things in her life. I asked her to talk to her parents, she did to her mom, but she ignores her, but i say go see someone else but she wouldn't. She is no risk at hurting herself or anything extreme as that, but she is not happy how she is. She hates her mom, always mean to her dad and little sis, and normal things dont seem that much fun to her anymore. So she wants to take these next 5 days to re-think everything, and just talk on the phone/text eachother. Then on Saturday she wants to hang out and talk and we will decide on whether she can handle a relationship right now or not. But during this time off is there any certain thing i should do? i want to stick together really bad

Young girls are dangerous things. To be honest when they start saying they're confused/don't know what they want etc. it's best to get out of the situation as soon as possible. You'll almost certainly get hurt more otherwise.

I don't believe in the whole "taking a break" thing. Like others here have said, it's basically a way for her to discover what her life would be like without you, and to get used to you not being around for a while. This is so if/when (most likely when) she does break up with you it will be easier for her.

Ack, I sound so negative

To focus on the positives: some things you can do.
    Give her space. Don't contact her too much for a while, let her miss you. Don't bring up the topic of your relationship, let her do that. And don't smother her.

If you play your cards right, there's a chance it will all work out in your favour.

i know it isn't lookin good but i sure hope she changes her mind and i play my cards right... thanks for your insight... anyone else?

same thing is happening to me. Were in the same grade but the girl is 16 (highly intelligent, 2250 on the new SAT and a National Merit quarter finalist) and Im 18 (not anywhere at all as intelligent). Were both seniors and started dating last year. We have been dating for 10 months and last week she said "i need space to figure stuff out, im not happy at all and confused and scared". She says she still loves me and wants to make it work and is 100% positive she is coming back and when she does its going to be 100% that she wants to be there with me. But I know, from how she speaks and what she wants, that she doesnt want to be with me, or not necessarliy me, but in general. I wish someone would have told me girls arent mature, even the intelligent ones, to know what is important and not important to them. I love her and I jsut wished she would realize whats important.

I feel for you man, and hope all goes well.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There isn't much you can do but respect her need for space......before she makes her decision. Then after that...honestly there is nothing you can do to make her change her mind. Hopefully it will work out in your favor....but if not...then it just wasn't meant to be....
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Just keep in mind, at your age, chances are things aren't going to work out. And in all reality, you shouldn't want it to. Youth is all about dating and experiencing life. Otherwise you'll date one or two people, get married, and then a few years down the road you'll find yourself asking, "I wonder if she really was the one? Maybe there is someone better out there for me? I never really got a chance to discover what I really wanted in a woman."
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

TAVS is right. It hurts, but you need to move on. You will be glad you did down the line