+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What would you think if...

What would you think if...

Hi, question for the ladies. I usually don't do things like this, so I'm wondering, but...
    I was on myspace the other day and came across the profile of a very attractive girl who lives in just the next town over from me and goes to a different school than I do. And I read her blog and interests section and it seems that we would share many interests. On her profile is her AIM screename. I want to talk to her, but I need a good way to introduce myself online without sounding creepy. So what would you think if you were this girl and some guy you didn't know and had never met just starting IM'ing you for no apparent reason?

My plan is to say Hi, I'm ____________. I go to _____ school. You prolly don't know me, THEN WHAT.

It just seems very lacking and kind of messed up as is and if you could help me improve upon it, that would be great.

I just need some help getting started, because I can figure we can start talking about our shared interests once she's "met" me. But first impressions are everything.
    Last edited by Joe_Watson; 07-08-06 at 11:55 AM.

King Zarathu Guest
    You puss, where have you been? (Me == LTsK8eR2gO)

Now, as for the "THEN WHAT"--

"You probably don't know me, but that's how it's supposed to be. If I am to slowly but surely hunt a person down before I cut them up to pieces and enjoy a good dinner, what sense would it make for them to let me spend the night at their place prior to the killing? Besides, everybody loves a good sadomasochism now and then...."

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know that there is any way to do this without sounding creepy. Sorry.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Gotta be a way...

I've been doing more thinking on this and the whole point of a social networking site like myspace is to meet NEW people. And if she didn't want to take the risk of random people IM'ing her, then why did she put her screename right on her public profile where anyone in the world could see it? Maybe in this context it isn't so wrong.

I don't know. I just wish there was a constructive solution out there so that I wouldn't just sound so random to her. After the intro, we'd have no problem. We could just talk. But the intro is the foundation on which everything else is built. And as with most things, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. I just need to know the right or best way. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LT, how ya' been, man? You still go out with that Jordyn girl these days?
    Last edited by Joe_Watson; 07-08-06 at 02:53 PM.

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Watson
    LT, how ya' been, man? You still go out with that Jordyn girl these days?
    Negative. She turned out to be a whore.... Shocking, I know. Female? Whore? Never....

Just PM her! Talk to her through Myspace as a starter and then if she seems cool and everything, then IM her on AIM.

If you want to go with your original idea of IM'ing her on AIM then just talk! Obviously she isn't too fussed with talking to people she doesn't know or else she wouldn't have her name out there for everyone to see! Just mention that you noticed your in close towns and what school you go to etc, I don't know - see where it goes! If she thinks you're creepy then I'm sure you will see that and you'll think of something to stay, don't stress.
    To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love; but then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer, to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love; to be happy then is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy; therefore to be unhappy one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I get random people sending me messages on Myspace all the time! Actually I became friends with a few of them that live not too far from me.

All you can do is just send her a message on Myspace. Keep it simple and if she's interested, she will check out your profile and respond. If she does, then maybe try talking to her on AIM sometime. Just take it slow and don't be too damn pushy.

And yes, a place like myspace is usually used to meet new people. Unless people clearly state in their profile that they don't want to meet anyone new, and just want to keep in contact with friends etc, then they are game. So why not give it a shot. The worst thing she can do is just not respond to your message.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Good idea in theory, but messages never returned.

Thank you! It helps greatly to get that perspective. One thing about messages, though. I can send messages to people whether I actually have met them and know them or not, and still I never get a message back. I've not figured this out yet.

The funny thing is, THEY WILL STILL ADD ME, but they can't be bothered to send a message back. Usually for a new person I haven't met, I send a message saying "hi I'm _______. I go to _____ school. How's your summer going? I'm always up for meeting new people, so hi." Basically that kind of thing and that doesn't really seem to capture their interest enough for them to actually write back.

And my profile's actually pretty good, so I don't think that's the problem. Can anyone help me figure this out? Now you understand why I'd like to just IM her instead and not waste any more time with messages that are never returned. That just drives me nuts. More perspective would be awesome. Thanks very much in advance.
    Last edited by Joe_Watson; 08-08-06 at 02:07 AM.

I don't think it's creepy to IM her right away because she's put that information out there for you (or anyone) to use.

Tell her right away that you don't do this a lot and are unsure as to the protocol. That way she might cut you some slack if you are crossing a line.

Tell her right away that you don't do this a lot and are unsure as to the protocol. That way she might cut you some slack if you are crossing a line.
    I get what you're trying to say, but I think if I said this, it might freak her out a bit. I'm not really "unsure of the protocol". I know what to do and how to do it. I just need a good way to start out. And it seems the best way is to just do it. Introduce myself as I would in real life and just get on with it and see what happens. Saying I'm "unsure of the protocol" and thereby admitting my confusion would prolly throw another wrench into the equation and I'd prolly come off as less than confident in myself. But point taken.

If anybody else has any suggestions, please feel free to contribute. Her profile says she's friendly, so maybe she'll cut me some slack regardless. Who knows? Only one way to find out. I'm generally pretty conservative in my topics, so I doubt I'll seriously offend her the first time I talk to her anyway. I think I'm getting closer to having a formulated plan here for how to do this best. Thanks!

Think I'll prolly just go with this plan. Seems the most direct by far.:
    I don't think it's creepy to IM her right away because she's put that information out there for you (or anyone) to use.

Personley i would just go on there with what you said at the very beginign of this topic "Hi, I'm ____________. I go to _____ school. You prolly don't know me," There is no then what about it as she will say something back possiabley with a questian after! she may ask what it is like at ? School you get my drift just go with the flow i know as i have had people add me from hear to talk to me about things and 1 of them i have made good Online friends with. Unfortunatley it will only be online good friends as she s on the other side of the world to me. What i am saying is just see what she says as she may have doen this loads of times and it will be automatic for her. Just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My last name is also Watson nice to see some one elce lol
    I apologise in advanced for my atrocious spelling. The advice or View I give probably wont be much good but it may help some one make a good suggestion!
    Cheers Steve

just say 'hey, i saw your myspace and it looks like we have a lot in common, just thought i'd say hi' or the whole 'unsure of protocol' would work too. saying your unsure simply means that you don't want to be creepy, it doesn't make you look dumb or anything.
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

Final Draft! Opinions?

Thanks to everybody who responded. I've decided I'm going to send her a message first/friend request and if she responds to that THEN I'll IM her. I've been working on this the past few days and this below is pretty much my final draft:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi ______,
    My name's Joe_Watson. I'm a junior at _______ High school this year. I don't think we've met before, but I found your profile off someone else's page a few days ago and got to looking at it. I couldn't help but notice we seem to have some things in common with each other (I'm quite the iPod wearing daily jogging so called "healthnut" myself) and thought it might be nice if we could get to know each other better. AIM= my screename
    I just wanted say hi and introduce myself. Hope your summer's been good.

Joe_Watson
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That iPod wearing jogging health nut stuff is actually true, so I thought it would be a good idea to include that as common interests since she is into the same stuff.

What does everyone think?