+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Warning: high voltage

Warning: high voltage

Okay, I am just totally depressed and to tell you the truth I just don't see the light.

Having a bachelor's degree in economics truly sucks. First off, it's such a broad field it's really hard to figure out where to start. Secondly, even your professors tell you that having a bachelor's degree in economics is essentially worthless cause basically you don't know SHIT. When you start a job your bosses treat you like SHIT too, because they TOO know that you don't know SHIT. And finally, I just don't see myself going through a bunch of papers all day long.

To tell you the truth I don't see myself doing anything at ALL. Call me a loser, tell me that I have no ambitions, but what if so? Am I just not fit for the society? I don't know what I want to do with my life, I really don't. And don't tell me that I'll figure it out, I'm almost done with my third year in college and I still haven't decided. Besides, in the long run we're all dead.

On top of all things, I have to write a paper and two reviews on my classmates' papers (now that's real funny huh - trying to criticise someone's aper without having the slightest idea of what they're talking about, knowing that they themselves don't know what the hell they wrote their papers on), I feel absolutely worthless, both career-wise and essentially as a human being, I can't get a job other than the ones on campus cause I'm on an F1 student visa (I'm not even an exchange student), can't even sign up a contract with T-Mobile because I don't have credit (I don't even have a secial security number) so I have to stick with lame Cricket (none of my incoming calls get through because the sound is not working for some reason), and ultimately everyone keeps rubbing in my face that I get to sleep in late and never have to work!
    I have it all. Including kino.

Move to NY and work at NYSE. All you MBAs go there.

Killer,

You're really not alone in your situation. I have a lot of friends who are graduating this year and they're still pretty clueless about their future, and two of them are Economics majors too. You may not like hearing "you'll figure it out," but its true, you will. Having a bachelors in Economics does not "suck," its one of the highest paid fields, and I am very skeptical of any blanket generalization like "all economics majors get treated like shit." How you get treated depends on your work ethic and your social skills, if you stand up for yourself and show your potential, bosses will be sure to treat you with dignity.

About your visa, have you applied for residency yet? From what I hear, as long as you're not Middle-Eastern, you have a good chance if you're a succesful college student (as long as your record stays clean). I don't know about Cricket, it sounds shitty by the name... try getting one of your friends to sign up for your subscription in name but have you pay and use the subscription. Also, one of the best jobs is writing essays for people, pays real well.

Besides, you get to sleep in late and never have to work!

MV
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

Lol, that really cheered me up! *gives MVP a watery smile*

I was just so stressed those last couple days I really needed to share my "overwhelming" burdens with somebody. You're right about work ethics, I just have to bust my butt and start looking for an internship at last. Truth is, I'm scared of interviews - I am constantly haunted by a nasty feeling that everyone will hate me and another thing is, I feel like I sound rude and have a mean face expression when I talk to strangers (my sister always tells me, although other people tell me otherwise).

Oh well, that's beauty of this life, you never know until you try.

So try and tell us how it goes.

Good luck

So how have you been doing?

Some companies will give you a cellphone account if you have a deposit (althouth that deposit COULD be a good amount. I think ATT is like 800 dollar deposit, but you DO get it back after a year of good business). Or try using a prepaid cellphone. Or like MVP said, have someone co-sign or just get the account FOR you. Co-signing helps to build your credit a bit.

Alexi

Whatever. My service is not the main thing that bothers me it's life in general.

Besides, I can't have credit, I'm not American and as far as they're concerned hopefully will never become one! Pre-paid is really expensive and isn't worth it. And no one hardly wants to co-sign with me.