+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC - Which is better? / Anyone got Vista?

Mac's are for idiots that know nothing & don't do anything with PC's.
    It just sits on the desk & gets admired by other idiots that think its sheeny colors make for a performance upgrade.

We had to use Mac's to do our editing when I was @ College.
    It took literally days.
    We finally got hold of a run-down Pentium 2 & would you believe it,a single job got done in hours,not days.
    Love...The anti-drug.

Get addicted now,because an overdose on love is perfectly legal!

So I'm an idiot. It amazes me how offensive people are about this. what's wrong with having something that looks nice? You're just jealous

all the college computers at college are macs. work fine, though they are abused a LOT, bogged down with useless software people put on them, etc.
    There's one girl who has a PC laptop. it broke twice this semester, seems to be completely broken now (she got it new last year). My totally student-abused iBook has lasted two years (and still going strong), literally using it every day, the battery still goes for hours, and runs all the new software I need perfectly, even though I abuse the hell out of it- for instance, right now, i'm running 13 apps, including two CS2 apps. I honestly could not find a non-mac 12" laptop that will run all the CS apps at the same time, working with huge 300 dpi poster files, and still costs less than 1k.
    Most of the people who I know who have PCs are people who just want to surf, email, have photos and music. And they all have spywear, viruses, etc on them. those people have been much better off with a mac.

experiences differ. I'm not saying pc's are crap- they just are in *MY* experience. I am not stupid enough to think that my own statistically insignificant experience means anything.

but the truth is, as lilwing said.. macs and pcs are made pretty much of the same parts. The OS is getting more and more similar too. there's really not much difference.
    Last edited by Tiay; 15-05-07 at 01:18 AM.

I agree about disliking the Mac GUI. I also resent their expensive-ass boutique marketing- just how much more should a person pay for someting that looks flashy?

And that whole "we don't get viruses" thing is just because nobody has written a really nasty one yet. It's coming. Count on it. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to maintain a PC to keep it running well, and it's well beyond the capabilities of the average user, but Macs get ****ed up too, and they're more expensive to fix.

Mac won't run AutoCAD. End of story for me.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My XP Professional is working fine.

I don't feel the need to upgrade, as for one, there isn't much of a demand for the new OS, and secondly I'd prefer to get it once many of the bugs and kinks are worked out.

I'd love to get a Zune, but I know they're probably gonna refine alot of what's already there, so why not wait a year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I agree about disliking the Mac GUI.
    I think this is simply a matter of personal preference, as they're not fundamentally different.

I also resent their expensive-ass boutique marketing- just how much more should a person pay for someting that looks flashy?
    people pay premiums for things that look nice when they could've gotten something that did the same thing but didn't look nice for much less. cars, clothes, phones, etc. I for one find my ibook, imac and ipod objects of art. I would not call them flashy. "Flashy" describes PC design- featuring lots of swerves, details, brushed steel effects, etc. Apple products tend to be quite.. Bauhaus-ish and understated- key word "under"stated, not flashy- tho again that is a matter of opinion. I'll pay for that. it is however, my choice to make.

And that whole "we don't get viruses" thing is just because nobody has written a really nasty one yet.
    there are no viruses whatsoever. There is also no "security through obscurity" with mac. it used to be that way- but can you imagine how much publicity a functioning mac virus would get these days? So much, that some have falsely claimed to have made a mac virus.
    Viruses/spywair/etc are increasingly being written for profit (stealing credit card numbers, etc) but it is also a sort of... hobby. People write them to challenge themselves, without necessarily intending harm. Imagine writing the first ever working OSX virus? that's an appealing goal to those types of people.

It's coming. Count on it.
    you're probably right. still, it'll only be a few, as opposed to millions.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass to maintain a PC to keep it running well, and it's well beyond the capabilities of the average user,
    I agree with this.

but Macs get ****ed up too, and they're more expensive to fix.
    this is true also. Macs have their own issues. I know a few people who's batteries are acting up. I know someone who's laptop monitor broke off (though he did previously toss it out of his moving car window..) but yeah, technology breaks sometimes.

Mac won't run AutoCAD. End of story for me.
    If macs didn't run photoshop, i'd be outta there too.
    Last edited by Tiay; 15-05-07 at 05:45 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    i liked the jet comparison, tiay. i'm also not trying to be a jerk, just trying to inform the public of my personal knowledge and experience. i know you like macs, and i don't have a problem with that. infact, i like how there are different operating systems.

yes, viruses can be written for any system, and you know what else? virus blockers or whatever they're called don't work worth a ****. so if you're *really* smart, they'll either stay off your computer, or you know how to get rid of them manually.

if you really want the best out of a computer, in terms of speed, stability, and overall performance, the best route is to linux. the downside to linux is yes, it's very complex, very hard to set up, and the options are so limitless that it could leave you staring at the beautiful blank desktop for hours!

i've grown to hate windows in the end. after trying linux, i'm convince that the effort is well worth it. i absolutely love everything about it. i enjoy using command line interface for certain tasks. but you know what else? i don't do what the normal user does. i do a lot of programming and remote accessing as well.

on another note, i just downloaded a new feature for beryl that makes my desktop snowing. how ****in' cool is that?

I have Vista. I got it on my new laptop. I think it's great. Haven't had one single problem
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

anachronistic Guest
    i thought vista might have been great. i don't personally use it.

a few of our new office computers have vista. i have had a lot of trouble installing many of the company software to them. not only that but i can't vnc in all the time... it seems like if i restart the computer after a fresh reinstallation, it ****s up again.

i like the theme but i hate that stupid 'widgets' thing. it's not useful to me. i didn't find many new features in windows vista that i've seen in linux and mac for years... like the fricken clear aero whatever it's called that makes the windows clear.

i hate how firefox crashes, and i hate internet explorer. most of my software just doesn't work on it. windows vista is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    and windows vista isn't much different from windows xp.

here are the basic changes:

requires a better computer

looks better than xp

that's it. don't get it until it costs less.
    ...except it's far more unstable and ****s with a lot of games and ****s with copyright stuff.

Macs are better if you're doing video editing or just need to do email. The good thing about Macs is that they are more stable and dependable than PC's. The bad news is that a lot of software won't run on them.

PCs are good for the average user to get into simply because of the range of software available for them.

Macs are higher quality machines. PCs offer more.
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TDurden View Post
    ...except it's far more unstable and ****s with a lot of games and ****s with copyright stuff.

Macs are better if you're doing video editing or just need to do email. The good thing about Macs is that they are more stable and dependable than PC's. The bad news is that a lot of software won't run on them.

PCs are good for the average user to get into simply because of the range of software available for them.

Macs are higher quality machines. PCs offer more.
    not sure about the video.. i'll have to do some research on that. what's the highest quality apple have available for video cards?

edit:

i think it's more of a computer vs computer type thing. the hardware builds the quality, y'know. i build my own computers, and they have higher quality than windows/mac machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    So I'm an idiot. It amazes me how offensive people are about this. what's wrong with having something that looks nice? You're just jealous

My PC looks better then a MAC. I built it myself, not all PCs look like plain IBM boxes.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    My PC looks better then a MAC. I built it myself, not all PCs look like plain IBM boxes.
    Agreed,I did the same to my PC.
    There are more options & possibilities with a PC,then a Mac.

For instance I have not seen any main stream studio using Mac's to process or edit their work.Instead,they use full tricked out PC's that can be customized accordingly.

It's only tight budgeted people with little knowledge of the equipment, that believe that they are getting a good deal.
    Unfortunately,these are the same people that don't want to "waist" time getting to know their equipment or learn the benefits of anything else.
    I blame Universities & College's for this & their "cheap" equipment as well.

When I finally got into the industry I had to learn a different system because of it.

As we say here in South Africa,in the language Afrikaans:"Goed koop is deur koop".It roughly translates to "A good purchase,is an expensive purchase".It looses allot of its meaning after being translated.

I apologize to all the standard Mac users out there if I have offended you,but I need a power house in order to do my job.& the only way I can get that is with a customizable PC.

I also think what TDurden meant to say is that Macs are more stable and dependable than PC's because a lot of software won't run on them.
    Last edited by Chimeros0; 15-05-07 at 04:23 PM.
    Love...The anti-drug.

Get addicted now,because an overdose on love is perfectly legal!

My PC looks better then a MAC.
    no, it doesn't. Your personal opinion on something as subjective as design does not translate into a fact.

I said *I* like the design of macs better. BUT I also said that my own opinion does not make this a fact. they only look better to *me*. Your PC only looks better to *you*. it is a matter of opinion and personal preference.

I built it myself, not all PCs look like plain IBM boxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimeros0 View Post
    I need a power house in order to do my job.& the only way I can get that is with a customizable PC.
    yes.. as I already said:

Anybody who has the skill to pretty much assemble their own computer can make it exactly the way they want it. No other ready-made machine is going to beat that, that's obvious. But not everyone has this skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeros0 View Post
    For instance I have not seen any main stream studio using Mac's to process or edit their work.
    I've been to a radio station (actually, two).. they had a mixture. most the jobs I looked at in NY for graphic design/photography/webdesign/etc.. used macs. the people on photoshop tv? mostly macs again. Are you talking about film studios here? 'cos I think that'd be a whole different game.
    A friend of a friend of a friend did the empire state building in The Day After Tomorrow.. not sure what he did it on though. But that kind of power.. probably requires something above what is sold for the regular consumer. which, is what most pcs and macs are made for and which is what we're talking about, so it's like you're comparing two family cars by putting them on a race track with an F-1 race car that you built and filed down to the last detail yourself, rather than looking at stuff that'd be relevant to the regular driver.
    I love my car analogies...

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    if you really want the best out of a computer, in terms of speed, stability, and overall performance, the best route is to linux. the downside to linux is yes, it's very complex, very hard to set up, and the options are so limitless that it could leave you staring at the beautiful blank desktop for hours!
    yeah, I agree with this. But, as you say, it is complex, which, for people who just want something that works out of the box and that don't have the enthusiasm, skill or even time to set it all up and learn.. it's just not the best choice for them.
    My brother is very much into computers. He assembles them, and in general likes to fiddle with the hardware and customise things. He's familiar with linux, has used it.. but his main computer is still a macbook. terminal is always open on it, though
    that setup would probably drive you nuts. but it's the exact set up that he likes. again.. personal decision.

let me ask you this though, lilwing: if a friend asked you "Hey, you know about computers! I want to get one for the family. never used a computer before. just you know, surfing, email, photos, music.." what would you recommend them? Personally, because I know the kids would download viruses and be downloading music, if it was a PC it'd be full of viruses and spywear within minutes and they wouldn't know how to deal with it, I'd recommend them one of the cheaper macs. ie, macmini with third party monitor, or the 17" imac, or a second hand G4 imac if price is an issue.

No but done the tester on line it seam ok
    Life is like a dick. When things get hard, **** it.

no, it doesn't. Your personal opinion on something as subjective as design does not translate into a fact.
    Maybe not, But I have seen MACS and you have not seen my PC. Plus, we are tying to decide which one is better so then we would need facts to compare...and you bring up something as opinionated as looks? ....seriously...looks aside since they are opinion you can do more on a PC then a MAC...plain and simple..

Not to mention that they have cases that look EXACTLY like the MAC ones for the PC..so I can have it look just like yours ..except do more cause it is a PC. The amount of software available for the PC is ten times that of the MAC.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 16-05-07 at 12:08 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast