+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what should you do about abusive parents?

oh my god. that kind of trauma.. it changes you for the rest of your life, especially that young. I don't know what can or should be done about the situation.. but I will say that an invaluable thing you can do for your friend is listen and talk about what's going on. You don't have to solve all the problems or tell her what to do, just show sympathy and understanding. People need a sense of being listened to. I've always found that if I keep stuff just in my head without telling anyone, it takes on a sort of surreal, un-real quality, like i'm not sure if it really happened.
    And your friend obviously isn't getting much listening-to or understanding at home.

Unless she has a place to go, I'd like to mention the sad fact that what she could look forward to in foster care would very likely be worse.

Disgusting, yes, but true.

I would imagine if she had any family that gave a damn, they would have done something long ago. I hope she can just understand that where you come from doesn't necessarily dictate where you end up and try to do anything she can to get herself headed in the right direction.

The day she turns 18, she needs to get the **** out of there.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think any sort of confrontation you make on her behalf will only make things worse for her at home. I suggest you be a source of support for her, and suggest that if things are too bad, she can talk to a counselor at school or ask a relative to let her move in with them.

Giga's right, BTW. The things you mentioned, while certainly unpleasant, are minor compared to what she might experience in a foster home. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Really, take it from me. I did a stint living in my car when I was 16. Believe me, the sympathy didn't go nearly as far as the disenfranchisement and the general disgust. Nobody should aim for that.
    Spammer Spanker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12