+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: friendship between men and women

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have friends that are girls. It helps that they are funny

Not sure...

Maybe....I think it depends on a few things...

I still keep in touch guy friends from high school and college who I can say are truly my friends, nothing more. However, I met them in an environment where it was more about making friends, having fun, being social, and less about what everyone's true intentions are.

Now that I am out of school in the "real world," I've realized that it is extremely difficult to meet new guys who are just looking for friendship. In fact, the only friend-only scenario that has seemed to work are becoming friends with my friend's boyfriends, I suppose because it immediately eliminates the pressure. Other then that there's a couple of specific scenarios:
    1) We dated, didn't work, but got along well enough to maintain a friendship afterwards, which means that there will probably always be that 'we were once more-then-friends' connection;
    2) One person is interested and the other is not. I have a couple guy friends that I care about deeply, but simply not in that way. However I cant help knowing that if I would change my mind, and make a move, they would take me up on it in a second.
    3) Lastly, I feel like as we get older, a lot of people have their 'set' group of friends, and aren't looking to make more. Unless it's a situation where you're bound to be around each other, i.e. a new coworker, when guys-girls meet, each usually has their own agenda. Whether it be a hookup, dating, a relationship, marriage, etc...everyone is looking for something, and it's usually more then friendship.

And thats my 2 cents!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I used to think men & women could just be friends but not anymore. If you like each other enough to be good friends an attraction usually develops (or is there & not discussed).

That said, I'm not sure there's anything necessarily wrong with such a 'friendship', provided everyone is honest about what is actually happening. I think its the false hope/denial that causes problems.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

It will work, If both of you can agree that it will stay a friendship.
    I find it easier to actually interact with them, if I know
    the scenario that is going on.

When they are married already, it's easier for a friendship to develop,
    because your still able to talk to each other, and hang out, but know
    that it won't likely turn into anything more and
    still have a fun time together.

P.S. I find it actually a bonus to have female friends, because you can
    find out what you don't understand, and are able to use it as knowledge
    the next time you see someone current or new.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

Around half my friends in total and about 2/3 of the people I've gotten to know since coming to college are girls. The one relationship I've had evolved out of a friendship, and I've had feelings worth remarking on for 2 others at times during the last 3 years. So, I'd say that it is more than possible for opposite-sex friendships to exist. There is always the POSSIBILITY for one person to get ideas of more but it is by no means the expected outcome.

Probably yeah.. as long as your friend isn't sexually desirable... hehehe kidding aside... people should know how to put a line between. BUT WAIT!!! Isn't there such thing as FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS ^^

I believe guys and girls can be friends. But I doubt they can be like really good friends who you can trust absolutely anything like your childhood buddy. There will be moments of awkwardness and more ups and downs, possible crush and misunderstanings because of that, lots of irony. You cant just be physically blunt cold towards your fellow from the opposite sex. Is friendship, where both of you agree that it is just friendship, really a true 100% friendship? heterosexual people from the same sex never need to justify if they are in friendship or not. Friendship is just natural thing, you can't agree on your will on that. Of course there are quirrels etc and agreements after that, but overall essence of it is natural.
    Last edited by boobaa; 28-04-08 at 05:46 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

I noticed that friendship between opposite sexes happens often when you meet the girlfriends/boyfriends of your close same sex friends. I have girls that are just friends, they are also the girlfriends of my friends and I wouldn't thus touch them with a ten foot pole. I guess I believe in it but there has to be some barrier that breaks the sexual tension.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I think it's possible. But you need to be careful in maintaining a friendship. Never let anything trigger the sexual moment to come. I also think that it differs from person to person. You guys say that it is absolutely possible, but you can never know what your friend think, Maybe he/she is suffering from not having physical contacts with you.

Quote Originally Posted by gaddes View Post
    Is it possible for men and momen to be friends without wanting each other sexualy?
    That's so amazing what you asking right there. I had a friend who I cherished so much and tried to keep her away from the desperados. The ones that only want to get in your pants. You can't tell who, it's all about trust.

I never wanted her sexually...sure she blew up all over now...which is killing me to see her kill herself and enjoy it. I knew I would've been happy forever if we were still friends...

When it comes to sex I only do it if I don't give a **** about you...if you can't respect yourself then what am I supposed to do about it? But when I first meet a girl I examine her if she's a loose goose or sweet and innocent. Which I definitely prefer...stay faithful sweetie you sound like a good girl don't let anybody play you for a fool it's what's in your heart that matters

Quote Originally Posted by gaddes View Post
    Is it possible for men and momen to be friends without wanting each other sexualy?
    This was discussed in "When Harry Met Sally"!

I probably got about an equal amount of both genders as good friends and haven't had any problems at all so far.

Sure, I don't doubt that guys that are interested will try to build a friendship, but that so many of them only do it because they are interested is ... Disturbing.

You horny bastards!

It is also disturbing that some of your guy friends who are interested in you may have imagined you naked.

Most of the time one is at least mildly attracted to the other person, if not really hot for them.

yes i think its possible to have male and female friends without being in love.. may be they are office mates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12