+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A very delicate situation... help??

A very delicate situation... help??

So after about a week of ignoring her I decided to answer one of her phonecalls. No she wasnt begging to come back but she wasnt behing herself either, she was asking me things and really listening to what I had to say.

I told her about my concerns that she might have "Histrionic Personality Disorder" sure that I would get screamed at but she was accepting and admitted that she might have that. Then asked me what she should do because she finally sees that she has changed from a care-free hippy girl into a barbie doll with bleech blonde hair and nails.

She told me she wanted to be her old self again but didnt know how or even if it was possible, and that she really needed to just go somwhere alone for days and think because she has no idea

How can I help her from here? This is delicate water that I got to tread carefully in, I guess the first stage for her is accepting theres a problem, but is there really any way for her to change back or is it pointless to even try

Theguy, I can't quite remember your history with her, sorry. She left you for another guy? Or maybe I'm confusing you with another poster. You might need to give us some more backstory or a cliff notes reminder of what happened.

Also, are you her doctor? Why are you diagnosing her? It's ok to suspect that she has some kind of emotional problem, but until a doctor confirms this, I'm not sure it's wise to be slapping a medical label on her problem.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Personally, if I thought someone had an actual personality disorder, I wouldn't be interested in sticking around. Psychiatric disorders are very hard to live with, and may have a genetic component. I wouldn't care to take a risk of passing it along to any offspring.

Yeah, I'm a bitch that way.

For me, it would depend on the severity of the disorder and whether or not, he was seeking help for it. If there were no other major problems in the relationship, and he was seeking the necessary help and taking medications regularly (if prescribed), then I would probably stay the course. If it were a severe enough disorder, medications or not, I doubt I'd stay either.

My ex has some pretty severe mental problems, but completely refuses to get help. And the sheer multitude of the problems he has will definitely make it difficult for him to find love in the future.

if she really has a psych problem diagnosed of course by a doctor then she should seek treatment.you as her partner should provide her with emotional support.

when you really love someone you understand & accept her shortcomings & imperfections...

Quote Originally Posted by nbfsb View Post
    if she really has a psych problem diagnosed of course by a doctor then she should seek treatment.you as her partner should provide her with emotional support.

when you really love someone you understand & accept her shortcomings & imperfections...
    Not always. Especially in the case where his illness is hurting you. If your partner has a mental illness that is causing him to physically or emotionally abuse you, then you should head for the hills.
    Last edited by starbuck; 02-09-08 at 08:03 AM.

Life is short, and you only get one shot at doing it right. Leave the extreme circumstances for people who need drama.