+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Feeling lousy...

Feeling lousy...

I dun know why I would often feel down & lonely.. esp in the evening. Its almost like an everyday thing, I would feel insecure & lonely.. afraid of losing my dearest family members. Often on the verge of tears. There's nothing wrong w my life. I had a good day job, healthy & staying w my parents who are both well. I pretty much only need to take care of myself, no one is dependent on me physically or financially.
    So why do I feel so down & lonely? I dun have many friends.. try to meet new friends when there's a chance, but find they are just at superficial level. The "hi, bye" so-called friends. Sometimes I juz wonder am I having mild depression.. life to me is pretty meaningless. Like going thru ceremony. This is not mid-life or mid-whatever crisis u wanna call it, cos I've always been feeling like this since young. What's the meaning of life?

what do you think of other people's lives? do you think they are happier than you? do you think they are fake? if they are happier...why do you think they may be happier than you? what age are you? do you have a best friend? do you have a pastime? do you live in a small town or a big city?....sorry about the questions i just wouldn't feel good about giving any advice without more info

btw i believe the meaning of life is to love....i kno pathetic.....but there is no other explanation i can come up with.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 07-09-08 at 11:21 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

All of this starts and ends with you and your perspective on things. Find out what's the most important to you and make that your meaning of life. Meaning of life differs from person to person. Some people's only mission in life is to make as much money as they can (I don't know why, not sure what that paper is going to do for them on their death bed) whereas others want to have the most fun and create the most fond memories to look back on when all is said and done.

What's your passion?

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    what do you think of other people's lives? do you think they are happier than you? do you think they are fake? if they are happier...why do you think they may be happier than you? what age are you? do you have a best friend? do you have a pastime? do you live in a small town or a big city?....sorry about the questions i just wouldn't feel good about giving any advice without more info

btw i believe the meaning of life is to love....i kno pathetic.....but there is no other explanation i can come up with.
    The meaning of life is to live.

If it's to love, you're life is meaningless unless you have someone to love or to love you.

That's ridiculous.
    I don't chase, I replace.

I think you should look into doing some sort of community service for some meaningful organization. If will give you a sense of purpose and perspective, and will make you feel useful, all of which will help chase away the blues and help you to connect to people who aren't superficial.

BTW - I think the meaning of life is to matter to others.

Cloe, if you think it's more than the blues, maybe you should see a doctor or counsellor? I'm not saying you are clinically depressed, but it's never a bad thing to have someone to turn to if your mood gets worse. I saw a doctor around January because I felt this way, and she said she thought I had a mild depression. I took care of it by following her advice as much as could and six months later, I feel so much better!

There is also something really simple you can do that can help you elevate your mood: exercise. It's not a quick fix, but it's been proven to help people suffering from depression. I've found that going to gym or walking/running in the park makes me feel more connected to the world even if I'm not directly interacting with anyone. My shrink recommends at least 30 minutes a day of exercising.

I feel for you
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    The meaning of life is to live.

If it's to love, you're life is meaningless unless you have someone to love or to love you.

That's ridiculous.
    people have different opinions as to what 'to live' really means...i just think that life is not worth living if i have no-one to love and no-one to love me back....it doesn't have to be a partner...it can be mother/father/brother/sister/best mate...anyone....to feel that i think is the most meaningful than anything else i could ever have or experience....and i think even the rich guys in the world will agree....maybe you're different
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 08-09-08 at 02:48 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Cloe View Post
    I dun know why I would often feel down & lonely.. esp in the evening. Its almost like an everyday thing, I would feel insecure & lonely.. afraid of losing my dearest family members. Often on the verge of tears. There's nothing wrong w my life. I had a good day job, healthy & staying w my parents who are both well. I pretty much only need to take care of myself, no one is dependent on me physically or financially.
    So why do I feel so down & lonely? I dun have many friends.. try to meet new friends when there's a chance, but find they are just at superficial level. The "hi, bye" so-called friends. Sometimes I juz wonder am I having mild depression.. life to me is pretty meaningless. Like going thru ceremony. This is not mid-life or mid-whatever crisis u wanna call it, cos I've always been feeling like this since young. What's the meaning of life?
    I know your problem very well, my friend. I've been feeling like this on and off for like 4-5 years. One day I feel good, nice weather outside. But on the evening or next day, I may be completely down. This month has been very odd, I felt this down a long time ago, it has affected my work even... So sometimes I just take a flask of vodka and drink it up.
    Don't expect anything.

^ I get that too. Except from downing vodka on the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by BroEnot View Post
    All of this starts and ends with you and your perspective on things. Find out what's the most important to you and make that your meaning of life. Meaning of life differs from person to person. Some people's only mission in life is to make as much money as they can (I don't know why, not sure what that paper is going to do for them on their death bed) whereas others want to have the most fun and create the most fond memories to look back on when all is said and done.

What's your passion?
    U r right in saying its all about perspective, way of looking at things. What matters most to me would be my family members, nothing else really matters. Jobs, friends.. whatever. Pathetic as it sounds, I can't seems to find any passion in life. To love and be loved would be the most desirable thing I ask for on this planet. I guess in a nutshell I feel lonely.. that pretty much sum up my state of mind, Yes, I mingle w friends, have a good time and all that stuff, I live in a crowded city, full of pple wherever I go. Do community service work in my free time. But really, all these don't make me a happier person. Cos all these dun matter most to me. I wish I am lucky enough to have met a mentor in life who is much wiser than me to enlighten me and help me see thing in better light.