+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Black hole

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Indi you're misinterpreting what I said in the same way lw did

I'm not saying the average person is too dumb to understand it. I'm saying you can't just casually walk into a complicated research project and claim to know that much about it

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    The best doctors work *with* their patients nowadays. They understand, particularly with the internet resources that are available, that their patients are quite informed & they respect that. Bet your ass that many of your patients will be more current with what's on Medline regarding their ailment than you will be, if you doubt this, just ask Cain or Vash or RK just how much patients know these days. You might want to consider wrapping your brain around this concept before your med school interviews, btw.
    I plan on being an anesthesiologist (and if not that, a neurosurgeon), in which case I highly doubt patients will be giving me recommendations on which anesthetic to use and how much to administer with other drugs

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You are just demonstrating how ignorant you are with that kind of comment, DM.

You will most certainly interact with patients who, just as an example, know full well that they have a family history of malignant hyperthermia & what that entails. Go look it up, btw, and stop being an arrogant little shit.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You will most certainly interact with patients who, just as an example, know full well that they have a family history of malignant hyperthermia & what that entails. Go look it up, btw, and stop being an arrogant little shit.
    You have patient contact everywhere, of course, but what I am saying is that it's far less in anesthesiology than if you were a family doctor

My uncle became a surgeon because he said he didn't want to talk to patients, and my uncle who is an anesthesiologist said something similar. Obviously they were exaggerating, but it still makes your case weak, you were acting like patients are gonna be advising me every step of the way

Go look it up, btw, and stop being an arrogant little shit.
    I must have really gone over the top if YOU'RE calling me arrogant

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not arrogant. I actually know something.

You forget I used to teach med students. And my PhD advisor was an MD-PhD on the med school faculty. So I know something about the current selection process. I don't know if your relatives are in private practice or if they are affiliated with a med school, but if they are you should ask them about the differences b/t the med school app process then and now. I also have relatives & personal friends who are physicians. They will tell you the current selection process is quite different from a generation ago, it doesn't matter if you want to be a gasman or a surgeon. You still need to get in (something I also did, fyi).
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    To touch on what Indie said a little bit, you don't need a degree to be smart, or know things. At this day in age, you can learn mostly anything you want to without going to school.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Anyone know who Jack Horner is? A very cool guy I heard speak several years ago. He discovered Maiasaura nesting sites & discovered the first true evidence dinosaurs cared for their young.

He did this all without the benefit of a PhD (tho he has been awarded an honorary doctorate since then).
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagoose View Post
    Like what? Breast mitosis as an alternative to implants?
    The bacteria chaperonin GroEL protein is toxic to insects and we need to figure out whether it’s due to the folding/unfolding ability.

Why? Because….

In humans, what is the mechanism of toxicity of an unfolded protein, alpha-synuclein, found in Parkinson’s disease and how does a human chaperonin suppress the toxicity of this misfolded protein?

Medical application: Parkinson, Alzheimer’s, other autonomic nervous system atrophies, other dementias, etc.

NOTE: This info is for entertainment purposes only. DO NOT seek research projects on this topic until I give the okay. Okay!?!

jk

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL! Is that really what you are working on Lesa?

I dunno much about GroEL specifically except it a heat shock protein, but I do know a bit about microRNAs. There's an older PNAS paper about this suggesting a connection. A lot of protein function is now being understood to be related to catalytic RNA components. If your protein has an associated RNA component, go do a search & be prepared to get VERY excited.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Anyone know who Jack Horner is? A very cool guy I heard speak several years ago. He discovered Maiasaura nesting sites & discovered the first true evidence dinosaurs cared for their young.

He did this all without the benefit of a PhD (tho he has been awarded an honorary doctorate since then).
    I know that name. I used to read all about dinosaurs when I was around the age of 5. I didn't realize he didn't have his PhD when he discovered the Maiasaura.

Interesting, though, isn't it? The whole idea of not needing a degree, I mean.

And oh god, it is going to turn into another chemistry thread.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 15-09-08 at 01:03 PM.

I can't believe that a thread about the particle accelerator has become an argument. I don't understand since I never mentioned anything along the lines that I comprehend everything...all I said was that I find it interesting. I can't find something interesting just because it is complicated? Guess the man who started the project in the first place should have never bothered. Plus +1 to Indi ripping DM a new one haha.

If this is about the idea of understanding the project's complexity than I can not see DM's logic at all. If these scientists through their experimentation and tests find new things that revolutionize or add to science they will either publish their findings or make them public one way or another...at which point it is usually presented in a way that even a cave man can understand (sorry Geico cave man dude). If this really revolutionizes the way we think about the universe for example people will understand, they will have no choice. It may even lead to applications everyone uses in their daily life, we all know how science is really, scientists discover a way to form a special soft compound in a lab because of curiosity of what will happen when A is combined with B and all of a sudden we have new pillow fluff material because it just so happens to be perfect for that and will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Btw, if someone don't know yet, you can view the LHC live at: [url]http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html[/url]
    LoL what a crock of computer edited shit.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 15-09-08 at 02:32 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

anachronistic Guest
    You could turn a thread about anal fisting into an argument, dude.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    And oh god, it is going to turn into another chemistry thread.
    I wish it turned into a chemistry debate

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Plus +1 to Indi ripping DM a new one haha.
    Just because Indi was siding with you and rode the high horse doesn't mean she was right. Actually, were we even in much disagreement anywhere on this? I don't think so

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Just because Indi was siding with you and rode the high horse doesn't mean she was right. Actually, were we even in much disagreement anywhere on this? I don't think so
    Famous last words.

And you're eating them aren't ya

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast