+ Follow This Topic
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: culture

lipp starving people do refuse food for the sake of another, people die for the sake of others
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    i wan't actually talking about you lipp and your experience. reading a book and presenting stats doesn't mean much to whats happening outside of the US. Problem here is that people overreact when mocked as mish rightly pointed out and experience is more important to understanding. i think some american people have this weird problem of 'keeping up with the jones's' because they are constantly trying to prove they are so much better.
    Just reading about it might not be enough, if you read the right thing it can go a long way, if you read the right thing and think about it in a reasonable manner it's not far off. At any rate it still remains more viable than applying the experiences of a single person to large populations and global concepts. The life of one poor person is not applicable to the life of all the poor people.

lipp starving people do refuse food for the sake of another, people die for the sake of others
    And you bashed at Shh before you clarified it, a clarification which probably would only have emerged because I asked about it. There's a world of a difference between refusing to eat food (which at first sounded like a kid not eating because of not liking the taste of it and not comprehending the seriousness of the situation) rather than passing on it for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post

And you bashed at Shh before you clarified it, a clarification which probably would only have emerged because I asked about it. There's a world of a difference between refusing to eat food (which at first sounded like a kid not eating because of not liking the taste of it and not comprehending the seriousness of the situation) rather than passing on it for another.

lipp this is getting ridiculous , i already clarified. if you don't read my comments...... i already said that i personally refused food for the sake of my brother, lets be sensible here, your quote about arguing with idiots is starting to apply here. so are you telling me that you believe stats and books written by people before experience? yes you are correct one persons experience doesn't make it true for all, but how would you know? by reading a book some person decided was true? people say they don't believe in god because they have no evidence, but millions of people do, it doesn't mean either side is wrong. you're either open minded or you're not. Shh insulted poor people, boobaa insulted her back, neither were right to insult.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 04-10-08 at 09:20 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

eco, do you ever stop talking?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

i know misombra, i keep having to repeat myself, it get old.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    poor people, those to whom food is available, have the crappiest food available to them. it's loaded with sugar and starches and salt. cause it's all cheap.
    did you read this eco? i'm a hundred percent sure this is what vashhhhhh is talking about. k?

lipp this is getting ridiculous , i already clarified. if you don't read my comments...... i already said that i personally refused food for the sake of my brother, lets be sensible here, your quote about arguing with idiots is starting to apply here.
    And the point I made was that you bashed Shh first, then clarified it, which caused a reasonable call which you denounced. It's not a case of missing the comment.

so are you telling me that you believe stats and books written by people before experience? yes you are correct one persons experience doesn't make it true for all, but how would you know? by reading a book some person decided was true? people say they don't believe in god because they have no evidence, but millions of people do, it doesn't mean either side is wrong. you're either open minded or you're not. Shh insulted poor people, boobaa insulted her back, neither were right to insult.
    And as I said, this is where paying attention to high school history and sourcing would help.

if you read the right thing it can go a long way, if you read the right thing and think about it in a reasonable manner it's not far off.
    Personal experience will add to it, but to assume that someone who has no hands-on experience on a subject doesn't have a clue is not accurate. If they post shabby articles to make it look credible, then yes, but denying a viewpoint because of a lack of direct experience doesn't really work.

As for the insulting, read the following and consider which to consider as an actual insult.

Anyway obesity is associated with poverty.
    Stupid cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    did you read this eco? i'm a hundred percent sure this is what vashhhhhh is talking about. k?
    that might apply to so called 'poor people' in America. There is a big difference in what a poor person eats in the US and a poor person can't eat elsewhere. Is this about America again??...

lipp i didn't bash shh, i simply said that i didn't believe her, why are you twisting it to a bashing session i supposedly had with her?!!!

seriously lipp, there is no point in responding to you if you're going twist things.

as a person who was once poor, i felt insulted by what shh said. something you freely admitted you know nothing about.

book smart helps if you want to be a doctor/engineer/teacher and experience is also necessary, but booksmarts are not necessary when it comes down to having an open mind and imagination and openness to cultures

what the american people consider poverty compared to other countries is completely different because america is a rich country.

now i'm done with this. i'm not going to keep repeating myself because people just want to argue for the sake of it (as proven many times by people not reading what they are supposedly responding to)
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 04-10-08 at 10:05 PM.

are you off your meds?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I was GOING to write an indignant and somewhat rude reply to this silly comment, but then I looked at the rest of this thread and did this:
    Don't worry blue, we would never invade Canada unless the goal was to steal the hot Canadian women like you

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    *blush*

Alright, you're forgiven. I'm easy.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would like to add my two cents into this lengthy debate about poverty vs obesity: it is completely cultural and geographical. It depends on your diet and whats available to you. You could be poor, but if all thats available to you is vegetables and a little rice, you're not going to get fat. If you're poor and have access to a lot of cheap starch and sugar, you will be.

I was in Vietnam, doing charity work for the poor people there. I never, ever, met an obese person there. Not even a chubby one. The fattest people I've ever seen in my life were in Chicago, and I'm pretty sure they weren't all poor.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i wan't actually talking about you lipp and your experience. reading a book and presenting stats doesn't mean much to whats happening outside of the US. Problem here is that people overreact
    "People", is everyone.

So that means you were referring to me, and Lipp, and...everyone.

So everyone has a right to take what you say to heart, because you're directing it towards them.

I hate this thread....its filled with so much drama
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast