+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Better Place

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Most of my efforts are focused on education (duh). I donate my time there. I agree w/Fras, directly donating money often doesn't go directly towards those who need it. And a lot of the bigger charities will spend 40 - 50% of received donations on advertising. If in doubt about those phone calls, ASK whether they *directly* work for the charity in question. They must answer truthfully & usually the answer is 'no'. Then you can ask if they are donating their time or getting paid to make these calls (its usually the latter).

Some ideas:
    - if you have kids, volunteer for your school or school board
    - if you want to help your local community, get involved in city counsel--check their website
    - if you care about health or education, get involved in any number of organizations or your local hospital (they always need volunteers to help console ppl in the ER, psych, & kids wards)
    - some larger organizations can use help from those with professional degrees (Medicians Sans Frontiers, Engineers w/o borders, etc)
    - local libraries will accept volunteers also

There are lots of thing you can do to donate your time. Most important is to put it where you feel you will enjoy it & be helpful.

Those are great suggestions, Indie. I used to use my graphic design skills to help contribute to charities I supported. I did some pro bono graphics for one of the city animal shelters a couple years ago. Once I got my new job though, I had a hard time fittting it in.

This thread reminds me of how much I'd really like to get back into doing pro bono design work
    Last edited by starbuck; 03-10-08 at 07:31 AM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I've done volunteer work and I donate all of my unneeded belongings to people who need them.

Money donations are a crock of shit in my opinion. You can give a man a fish but if you show him how to catch one... yeah, you get the spiel.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 03-10-08 at 07:52 AM.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because I used to work in the optometry field, I went to Vietnam for three weeks last November and helped fit poor people with free glasses, and give them eye tests. I also helped collect and sort donated glasses for that organization....the Third World Eyecare Society.

This month, I'm starting a volunteer program for Big Brothers & Big Sisters.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I've done tons of volunteer work, and although I agree that the highest form of charity is that which is done anonymously, I don't feel posting about it on an internet forum violates anonymity in any way.

Anyway, I've worked in a food pantry, delivered groceries to shut-in elderly people, volunteered at the schools in enrichment and remedial reading programs, art programs, room parenting, fund raising (I hated that, but implementing a new program helped my kid's elementary school raise a LOT of money). I volunteered at an adolescent drug rehabilitation hospital once a week for around six years. I've served on the governing board at my synagogue, started a book club, mentored those interested in converting, tutored kids in Hebrew, helped re-organize the library, and filled in for religious school teachers who couldn't come in. I've done work for Habitat for Humanity and tree people. I lead nature hikes for underpriveledged school kids. I've worked on floats for the Rose Parade, planted trees for Tree People... there are probably more things I can't think of right now... We've donated money, of course...

Most importantly, I have passed along my commitment to volunteering to my kids. My daughter volunteers for the food pantry, and my son tutors kids for free and volunteers for the Special Olympics, coaching basketball and bowling.

By the way - those of you who are concerned about donating cash because you don't know how much is going to the actual cause, you can (and should) research the charity you are considering. Ther ARE overhead costs associated with charitable organizations, for example food pantries need a building to operate out of, electricty and water access for its volunteers, etc, so you shouldn't expect that 100% of the cash you donate would go toards buying food. However, it is possible to research what portion of your donation is being spent the way you want. Here's on place that rates your charities. [url]http://www.charitywatch.org/[/url]
    Last edited by shh!; 04-10-08 at 02:04 AM.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Ther ARE overhead costs associated with charitable organizations, for example food pantries need a building to operate out of, electricty and water access for its volunteers, etc, so you shouldn't expect that 100% of the cash you donate would go toards buying food. However, it is possible to research what portion of your donation is being spent the way you want. Here's on place that rates your charities. [url]http://www.charitywatch.org/[/url]
    I've heard the of the extent that Hands On Network burns through their money and doesn't even keep track of donations.

My girlfriend's affiliate, Hands On New Orleans ended up losing thousands of dollars in donations because the parent organization who they were becoming independent from, didn't keep track, and didn't want to honor HONO's records. Some non-profits, like politicians, forget about their cause and just soak up the money. Non-profits should pay low salaries so only the dedicated and idealistic will work for them.

Same for politicians.

When I donate I don't donate money (anymore). I go to the store and buy the products in need and give it to the group/organization without signing my name or telling them who I am. I drop it off to them and walk right out.

When I was in my teens and early twenties I would write a check to some organization claiming to do good things. I would mail it and who knows what they really do with the money. Now, I buy whatever they say is needed.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm going to start World War 3 and put humanity out of its suffering

I tutor students in need.

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to get a vasectomy as soon as possible so I don't have any kids.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Since I got back from overseas I've become a weekly volutneer for Meals on Wheels, a charity that makes and delivers meals to the elderly and the invalid. Before I left to go overseas I raised $1500 for a cancer research charity by completing a long distance ocean swim. And before that I was involved in a project to help rebuild family homes in our local area that had suffered severe neglect, usually as a result of illness. I've had a sponsor kid since I was 18 too.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    Since I got back from overseas I've become a weekly volutneer for Meals on Wheels, a charity that makes and delivers meals to the elderly and the invalid. Before I left to go overseas I raised $1500 for a cancer research charity by completing a long distance ocean swim. And before that I was involved in a project to help rebuild family homes in our local area that had suffered severe neglect, usually as a result of illness. I've had a sponsor kid since I was 18 too.
    Well, none of that means anything now that you've told us.

What a shame!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12