+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Humans are not monogamous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    You know very few people who'd come right out and admit to you or to anyone else that they cheated. There's a difference.
    People I know tell me everything because we go back decades, if not about the present then about the past. We don't hide things like this from each other. There are some who have cheated, they don't hide these facts from the group. None of my friends would.

Also sometimes you can tell whether the person is capable of cheating just based on their personality. Some people I know I can say with complete certainty they won't cheat under any circumstances just based on their beliefs and moral code.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I don't agree with this. Semi-monogamy doesn't work because it creates single mothers. Single mothers and their progeny in ancient times were the best sources of nourishment for various natural flora and fauna. Only the units with two committed supporting partners stood the best chances to raise their offspring.

Not if the guy cheats with another 'married woman'... and that woman passes the offspring off as her 'husband's' child.

Ever wondered why some women cheat and lie to the husband about the true paternity of the child?

This is a strategy that can satisfy the male's need to have as many genetically available options as possible... as well as a female's. While both are afforded the opportunity to raise up viable offspring.

I would imagine this method worked rather well in evolution... because I can see this strategy still in play in modern society...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Not if the guy cheats with another 'married woman'... and that woman passes the offspring off as her 'husband's' child.

Ever wondered why some women cheat and lie to the husband about the true paternity of the child?
    I suppose it's possible. But these types of people and their children are more at risk of being discovered and let go than the committed ones. Truth usually comes out and when it does consequences that affect their survival are usually negative.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I suppose it's possible. But these types of people and their children are more at risk of being discovered and let go than the committed ones. Truth usually comes out and when it does consequences that affect their survival are usually negative.
    It's a gamble as most things are... and I doubt the majority of the species is inclined to this... however, I have seen plenty of women have a child with their husband that is his... then have an affair... and pass of that child as his too. Sure, they may divorce later on... but for a while... he was taking care of a child that wasn't his.

In more primitive times... if the child resembled the male she was with... then how was he to know any better? Sure, she bore him one or two children that were his... but could easily pass off one that wasn't. In such times... I doubt morality would've played nearly so big of a role as it does now.

This is a common tactic in other species of animals as well...

Sure... a monogamous relationship is more stable... but semi-monogamy offers an opportunity to seek out other genetic possibilities... Even today, there are still those that gamble on it... which offers support that this strategy has and does pay off sometimes.

However, it may be in further decline with morality and paternity tests 'outing' the cheaters, and keeping the 'fooled' father from wasting his energies on a child that isn't his.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Sure... a monogamous relationship is more stable... but semi-monogamy offers an opportunity to seek out other genetic possibilities... Even today, there are still those that gamble on it... which offers support that this strategy has and does pay off sometimes.
    That's why I believe the cheaters are a minority. Their chances and chances of their children of survival are lesser. Sure they exist, but I believe their ratio to monogamous majority is small.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Doesn't sound like any of you know about the sexual cannibalism of insects...

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Doesn't sound like any of you know about the sexual cannibalism of insects...
    Male praying mantises can't copulate with their head attached...

- James Allen

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Male praying mantises can't copulate with their head attached...
    Yes they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Yes they can.

Ok... you caught me.. it was pure bullshit... but I wanted to have a bit of fun with that...

- James Allen

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've chosen monogamy because I'm getting too old and tired of emotional head games with new and different people.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123