+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Italy and Greece

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Italy and Greece

...that is where we've decided on for our honeymoon.

So, anybody who's been have any suggestions? Places to see/avoid? Good deals, waste of time spots?

I've been told Athens is awful, so I've pretty much decided to spend a day or two there and then hop from island to island in Greece.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

You should go see Olympus. My girlfriend's aunt went there while we were in Turkey. She told us it's beautiful.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Santorini. Sail if you can.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You should also check out the Greek islands. My girlfriend went to some of them when she was little and she talks about how there were untouched beaches, all kinds of ruins, etc.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Santorini is definitely on the list.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would take an overnight train up to northern Italy and into the Alps. Even though I've only been there once it was one of my favorite places I've ever been. Check out the Matterhorn or something

Lake Como is gorgeou*sigh*.....if you want secluded/mountain top views and grape vines try looking in Tuscany...Venice is just sexy any time of the year, In fact any where in the North really (I'M biased, Modena girl)...but some places can be a little too secluded.

Going South I have only one recommendation...Sicily

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    DM - I've considered a stop in Switzerland. I think we're going to fly into Frankfurt and then take a train south (the scenic route).

Bumblebee - Thx, isn't Venice in the south though? I totally intend to go there, even though my mom said it was dirty. Not sure what she meant by that.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Bumblebee - Thx, isn't Venice in the south though? I totally intend to go there, even though my mom said it was dirty. Not sure what she meant by that.
    I haven't been to Venice yet but its suppose to stink like hell in summer. Imagine a giant sewer system of canals = Venice.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As far as my geographical knowledge goes, Venice is in North of Italy . I mauy be mistaken
    I wazzzz here

In Italy we consider anything North of Rome North.... Venice is NE, it is a bit dirty, its got the usual flaws any place has when there are so many tourists visiting...but it is soooo beautiful, but I wouldn't spend more than a few days there.
    I should aslo mention that Carpi along the Amalfi cost (South) is lovely too
    (the views are to die for), do you want to just go one place or do a multi-stop?

Congratulations by the way, when are you getting married?....

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I want to multi-stop. Not sure of the best way to do this yet. Train? Rental car? Not sure how comfortable I am driving in foreign countries, I know people drive differently everywhere. Planning then to take a cruise that departs from Italy and stops at a number of the Greek Islands.

Getting married next August, taking honeymoon in October (cheaper, less tourists!)

You could start in the North of Italy, working your way down to Rome by Train, then take a flight to the South Islands (main city, will be cheaper/more chioce to connect elsewhere)...and finally grab a boat and head off to the greek islands!!!!...

October in Europe is still quite lovely (its 26 degrees here in Nice),towards the end it gets a bit rainy...and dull...and the cold can quite literally turn itself on within hours....just in case....

You know you could even take me with you! (purely for the translation service of course)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh wow, you're in Nice? We were hoping to make a side trip there. My mother in law was there in the spring and she said it was AMAZING and that we should really try to go there. We've actually been talking about how to incorporate it into the trip (we only have about three weeks vacation time - maximum).

As for language barrier....hm, I AM from Canada so I know some very very basic French, I also studied German and Spanish in school. Thinking about doing a quick Italian study before I go.....helps if you can at least get your point across. I'm assuming a lot of people speak English but I don't want to be ignorant and think THEY should have to understand ME.

Oh wow, you're in Nice? We were hoping to make a side trip there. My mother in law was there in the spring and she said it was AMAZING and that we should really try to go there. We've actually been talking about how to incorporate it into the trip (we only have about three weeks vacation time - maximum).

As for language barrier....hm, I AM from Canada so I know some very very basic French, I also studied German and Spanish in school. Thinking about doing a quick Italian study before I go.....helps if you can at least get your point across. I'm assuming a lot of people speak English but I don't want to be ignorant and think THEY should have to understand ME.
    Nice is amazing, lots of character, lots to do here, you can get adventure and relaxation all in one ....

Yes if you can understand French/Spanish (I speak Italian, it's the only way I got by in the beginning and it helped to pick up the language quickly) then you should be fine in Italy...With the English thing (especially here in Nice) I find it shocking how many people DON'T speak it....and yes I kind of came with an expectation (tourist destination= everyone speaks English), I mean they do in Thailand?....However in Italy I think it is much harder to find English speaking folk, even in the tourist spots....but everything is changing now I guess....

As for taking me with you, ....completey went over my head that you're from Canada, and can understand/speak French... ... but heck it was worth a try.