+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Gift Ideas for the Commercialized Holiday Season

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Gift Ideas for the Commercialized Holiday Season

So it's that time again. Time to go out and buy presents for people who in turn are compelled to buy you presents right back. Wouldn't it make sense for us all to just go out and splurge for ourselves?

But I digress!

This thread is for the discussion of gifts. What are you buying? What are you thinking of buying? Need suggestions? Tips?

Okay. So my sister, she's getting DJ Hero. That's an easy buy seeing as how she told me it's what she wants. Gifts should come from the heart, though. So while I'm glad to buy her what she asked for, I feel the need to get her something special. Something straight from me to her.

I'm getting her a portable hard drive and a digital media player. I'm going to fill the hard drive with every single song her favorite artists have ever concocted, every episode of every season of every show she loves, every movie she's ever had the slightest interest in, and whatever else I think she ought to be enjoying. Naturally this will all be legally bought by me. In other words, I'm getting her the ultimate mixed tape.

For my mom I'm leaning toward an ice cream maker. I typically buy her stuff she can use to treat me on those occasions when I stop by to visit. Homemade ice cream is just the thing. Granted it's a bit cold right now, but meh. The one I've got in mind is pretty neat. It makes a number of yummy treats. Frozen yogurt, sorbet, smoothies. It's all straightforward, too. No mess. You dump the ingredients in a bowl, stick it in the machine, hit the button, come back 20 minutes later and enjoy. I'm also going to get her some crystal wine glasses. She loves wine, but she has nothing proper to drink it in save a few mismatched fluted glasses.

My dad's a tough one. Mainly because I really don't like the old fart that much. I can't think of anything to get him. Maybe a hat or something. I dunno.

Additionally, I'll be baking batches of banana bread for coworkers and friends. I'm not a fan of buying random people gifts. I'd rather spend that money on my sister. Banana bread's cheap, though it takes a little time and effort to make. Personally, I think it's better than some stupid trinket I'd otherwise throw my money at for them.

Well? What about you guys? What're you thinking of buying? Any ideas for my pops?
    Last edited by Gribble; 04-12-09 at 11:43 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I haven't thought about it at all, really. I have, however, decided that this year I'm going to be all about cards. Making cards for everyone because I can't afford to buy them. I have at least 50,000 people to send cards to. Also, I'm thinking about making a scarf for my old flatmate whom I lived with last year. Mostly because I think of anyone I know, he would appreciate it the most. Other than that, only my family gets gifts - that will be hard enough, as usual. Banana bread is a good idea. My dad is always a tough one too.

I'll continue my fine tradition of buying nothing for no one. I don't believe in commercial holidays.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Well? What about you guys? What're you thinking of buying? Any ideas for my pops?
    My dad is really tough to buy for, too. There is literally nothing he wants except cigarettes and I'm sure as hell not going to buy him those. He's not a gadget type, not the sweets type (he has diabetes), and he doesn't have any hobbies (except crosswords.)

What I usually do with him is buy him a care package of things he uses, like aftershave, deodorant, chapstick, a crossword puzzle book and loads of other practical things and put it all together in a gift basket. Doesn't sound like that exciting of a gift, but I've tried buying him more "interesting" things over the years. He likes the care package best.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Since my bf has everything ,like clothes, parfumes and jewelry I go to buy him guitar hero He`s gonna be happy about it cause he wanted to buy it anyway . And I`m happy too because without that I would have no idea what to buy him.
    I already said to my mum I want parfumes , Dior J`adore oh yeah Besides I don`t want nothing just to be happy But this I need to give it to myself, nobody else can.
    I still think what to buy my grandson, he`s 1,5 yo and I really don`t know what to buy... I think I will just ask my brother`s wife what would be the best.

I love to give presents, and when I can I give them. I like to see people being happy to get something

And Christmas is as commercialized as You make it.I enjoy it cause it`s a family time, lots of good food and that`s that When I was small, Poland was just out of communism times and there was not much things in the shops as are now. You don`t know how it is to feel Christmas when You eat clementines .I still feel it .It`s funny but clementines are my sign of Christmas.
    I wazzzz here

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This is the first of many years I have worked during the holiday season, and we had a name draw. I drew the name of a 20 year old nurse's assistant (female). There's a $20 limit (not much!), and I have no idea what to get her.

I love shopping for my daughter... she's easy and likes almost everything I buy, and never hands over a list of demands, so I have a lot of flexibility in what I purchase. My son never wants anything, though. To make matters worse, his birthday is right before the holidays. I usually end up buying him beautiful clothes. Maybe this year, I will just give him cash, because he is going overseas for the first time.

My husband and I don't really exchange gifts unless something strikes us as an especially good idea. Neither one of us want for anything, really.

Get your dad a book on CD, Gribble. Send him a message with it, maybe some story about strained father-son relations.
    Spammer Spanker

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I bought my fiance football tickets, which he got early because we obviously would miss the game if we waited until Christmas. I also bought him a GPS, some video games, a big bottle of his favorite whiskey, and a bunch of other junk. He always spends a ridiculous amount of money on me.

Christmas is a purely commercial holiday for me, sort of like every other religious-based holiday. I like an excuse to buy crap for the people I love.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I bought my gf something really ****in' awesome. I can't post what it is on here, in case she sees.

I plan on painting a portrait of her for her parents as well. I've been rubbing a sketch into the panel with charcoal. I'm hoping to start this weekend. I don't think the painting will be finished that fast, though.