+ Follow This Topic

Thread: dating a guy with a disability like GAD or OCD

dating a guy with a disability like GAD or OCD

I'm a guy that was isolated for a long time becuase I was fighting depression, Generalized anxiety disorder, etc. It's been really hard. I didn't go out with girls coz I was worry bout what they would think of me. Now I'm better but I still worry bout things coz I have to take meds everyday and I'm also kinda poor, I have to get food a places where poor people go.... I'm really afraid of what a girl would say... I'm afraid of people judging me...
    Saying that I'm weird and different...

I really want to know what u would think bout a guy like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostalien View Post
    I really want to know what u would think bout a guy like me.
    That your neurosis in regards to being overly concerned as to what others think about you needs to be worked on. You evidently have no self confidence. It's probably safe to say that should you obtain a girlfriend, she would wipe the floor with you unless she is equally passive.

More work needs to be done. Worry about your own issues by getting yourself in order FOR YOU, not for the sole purpose of entering a relationship. That could be one goal, but prioritize: you first, relationship second (or third, whatever). Psychotherapy may prove beneficial if you aren't partaking in that already.

Ditto what Spring Haze says. Your mental health first. Everything else follows from that.

Doesn't mean, though, you can't also be a good conversationlist to those you meet along the way.

Just don't confuse the simple human need for companionship and emotional intimacy with love. A lot of people do.
    Speak less. Say more.

I'm doing way better now. I don't get weird anymore. The think is letting the person know that I have to take meds everyday and that I'm not like the other guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj View Post
    Ditto what Spring Haze says. Your mental health first. Everything else follows from that.

Doesn't mean, though, you can't also be a good conversationlist to those you meet along the way.

Just don't confuse the simple human need for companionship and emotional intimacy with love. A lot of people do.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think you should disclose that information to people at all unless you are in an actual relationship with them.... you know - on a "needs to know" basis. Don't overshare.

Before it was easy to tell there was something wrong with me coz of my anxiety and worry. GAD sucks. When u have it u tend to worry even for little things... Now it's not too bad. I was very isolated for a long time.. it sucked
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I don't think you should disclose that information to people at all unless you are in an actual relationship with them.... you know - on a "needs to know" basis. Don't overshare.

I'm also kinda poor, I have to get food a places where poor people go
    Don't worry about that kind of stuff. There are plenty of girls out there who aren't rich either.

I'm sure I can keep that as a secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by shheadz View Post
    Don't worry about that kind of stuff. There are plenty of girls out there who aren't rich either.

Well it's not like when u have a problem like GAD a girl is gonna wipe the floor with u. I have a strong personaloty if u didn't know. With GAD a very simple thing can be overwhelming but I learned how to control that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spring Haze View Post
    That your neurosis in regards to being overly concerned as to what others think about you needs to be worked on. You evidently have no self confidence. It's probably safe to say that should you obtain a girlfriend, she would wipe the floor with you unless she is equally passive.

More work needs to be done. Worry about your own issues by getting yourself in order FOR YOU, not for the sole purpose of entering a relationship. That could be one goal, but prioritize: you first, relationship second (or third, whatever). Psychotherapy may prove beneficial if you aren't partaking in that already.

I'm really afraid of what a girl would say... I'm afraid of people judging me...
    That's not general anxiety. That is not indicative of a "strong personality."

be urself....if a girl loves u....she will love u as u are!....if people reject u bf of ur situation....find another group of friends!....trust me u dont want to try hard being someone u are not just to fit in a group of fake people....there is a lot of people in the same situation as u....contact them and u will friends and girls there.....what makes a human being successful is not clothes or money.....its what is inside u....ur ability to become a better person....

ladyluna85 has some good points; A girl is going to love you for who YOU are, not who you should be, simple as that. Otherwise, she's not the right girl for you

My girlfreind has a GAD, and so she is always worrying about something, so I have to reassure her about everything (which I'm happy to do), but it's just one of those things, that you'll have to live with or manage it (which I think you have). If she can't handle you having a GAD, then she's not worth it.

Just for some advice, it doesn't matter what other people think; it matters what you think about yourself. If anyone is to make comments about you, or whatever, who do you think is the more immature person? THEM! And if they don't like who you truly are, they can go and jump in a lake
    Quote Originally Posted by UNKNOWN
    When I saw you I was afraid to meet you. When I met you I was afraid to kiss you. When I kissed you I was afraid to love you. Now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you.