+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ladies, am I just being way to over protective?

YSC is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

Ladies, am I just being way to over protective?

I think I am...

Here is the low down...

[INDENT]My girlfriend and I have been dating for about 11 months already. I love her to so much and she seriously is amazing. I have received my Associates Degree and ready to get an internship/job and continue my education. My girlfriend however is going off to college in the fall.

Currently we pretty much see each other a few times a week and probably every weekend we are together. I wouldnt say I am a popular person and have people calling me to go out constantly because my best friend is off in a college two hours away and my other best buddy is in Afghanistan doing Marine stuff. I would say I keep my circle of friends small but I get along with everyone when her and I go out.

Her and I aren't really big partiers either but when we do go out we have a hell of a time and drink like typical college kids. The big thing I really just worry about is her being away to college (its really only 45 minutes away) and something stupid happening. I think it really is just due to the fact that we see eachother nearly every day ha. I guess its a good thing and a bad thing at the very same time because I love her to death and I know seeing her this much will put a lot of strain when she goes off.

Trust really isn't an issue so I don't know what I am really trying to get at here. We have had our ups and downs and small stupid arguements get inbetween us but we have gotten past it. I remember there was a time when we were out at a party and a friend of mine who I used to work with texted me because she wanted to see me, and my girlfriend saw the text and she took it the wrong way (we were both drunk) and drama was through the roof. I would never cheat on her because I know what it feels like... I have been cheated on for person who used to be my best friend. It hurt a lot and I couldnt imagine doing that to anyone else. I am just not that type of person. And I remember I was stupid before when I got jealous/overprotective at a party when a bunch of guys just started talking to her and it seemed like she was making provoking comments to them (we were both drunk also).. I guess alcohol plays a big part in both of those times and I know how college is.

But maybe I am just thinking way too negative because we have plenty of great times. I would honestly say that 90% of the time I have been with her have been awesome. We get a long so well and I get a long with her parents also. Her parents even call me their son because they think we will get married some day. Haha, that is a long ways ahead but that's getting past this topic.

I am not really asking for advice to keep this relationship to last, but really just asking how I can keep myself to think negative like that. She has told me in the past that her past boyfriends have cheated on her and she knows I am different and trusts me. I completely trust her also, as I have let her go out with her friends to clubs and whatnot. I think the thought of her being 45 minutes away (go ahead and laugh, I know its not far) makes me think that I will never see her again. Dumb, I know, but I love her a lot.

So ladies, well, college girls... am I just being a dumbass (which I think I am) and need to chill?

'Fraid so. You know that old saying about how if you hold on too tightly to something it will slip through your fingers? It's true. If you trust her, show it. She's given you no reason not to.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    Yea, I've heard that saying. I totally agree with you too.

I don't know why I think that way, maybe because my buddies have always joked around too much and said stuff like, "Bro, she is definitely out f*ckin' other dudes, forget her." I don't know why I let it get to me but I mostly filter it out for the most part.

Anyway, I guess it was just one of those posts where I wanted to see other peoples views on it. Other than that, we are quite a happy couple and I am surprised I have made it this long with this girl because it really hasn't seemed that long haha. I guess time flies when you have fun!

I definitely can't wait for our one year anniversary as I have stuff planned out for it and also can't wait until May when we go out for a small vacation out to Miami!

Well, unfortunately, a lot of people cheat and act like scumbags. The odds are against you, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck. Lots of people have horrible experiences with long-distance (or even short distance when you don't have daily contact) but that doesn't mean YOUR girlfriend is going to cheat.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    We have had long talks about the topic before. For example, we both are puzzled why people cheat if they are in a relationship. And the fact that we both hate sluts/whores lol. It might sound crazy but I just can't see myself ever leaving this girl (maybe it's because I was a virgin before I met this girl, so this is sort of my first real relationship because I dated my last girlfriend for about a month until she cheated on me for my ex best friend heh). We just have such a great bond that she seemed to become a best friend for me now. That may be a good thing or a bad thing, I dont know but I'll just roll with it. This week will be kind of rough as I probably wont see her that often because she is working everyday and has class everyday. But other than that we stay in contact through text/phone calls.

Just commenting on a couple things I saw. Your GF was cheated on in the past. Mine too. And she also cheated on guys before me. She had a boyfriend when she went to college, within a week, she stopped answering his phone calls and was having sex with someone else at college. My friend(who she had sex with) and her only lasted('went out') for about a week. I stayed friends with her, and a few months later we ended up getting together, and we have been together 5 years now. Anyways, just a story really, but yea... I've always worried about her cheating again, because it was done to her, and she did it to someone also, but you do have to have trust, if she does cheat and you catch her, then leave her, but until then, you just have to trust her.

We seem quite similar ;p
    I was a virgin before I was with this girl also. She had about 3 partners before me(2 in highschool, 1 college)- as far as I know at least. And I too have a small close nit set of friends.
    Last edited by OneQuestion; 10-03-10 at 06:01 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the input!

I completely trust her, I know she isn't that type to do anything to hurt someone. I do know that people can change though also so I just try not to think of it. I guess I just have these bad thoughts come and go once in a while that I really just need to ignore.