+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is this a good idea?

Is this a good idea?

My girlfriend and I are both 24 years old. We have been very close friends for almost our entire lives, but didn't start dating until very recently. However, I have been very deeply in love with her for almost as long as we have known each other.

I was very dissapointed that I didn't get to go to the prom with her. I suffered from poor social skills in high school, and had to go with the daughter of a family friend who I wasn't even really friends with. To make matters even worse, the following year she got invited back to the prom because she was on court, and I could have had a second chance to go with her, but I didn't know they were inviting back the entire court until the day before the prom. It felt very painful knowing that I had let a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity slip through my fingers not once, but twice.

Since then, I have always wanted closure to this whole thing. I've been wanting to go to a black-tie dance with her so that I could experience what I've been wanting to experience all these years, but there aren't any to go to. I feel like the only way to have closure is to arrange my own black-tie dance. I want us to invite all our friends and have a DJ there and a photographer to do portraits of all the couples. I want the event to have a "be young at heart" theme to it.

I know that it's important to put the past behind you, but this is something that I've been wanting to experience with her for years. There are plenty of other painful things from my past that I can't do anything about, but now that I'm finally with her, I can finally experience something that I've been wanting to for years. Is it right for me to want to do this?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Terrible idea. Dude GET OVER IT. It's been YEARS.... time to move on. It was time to move on many, many years ago. Sorry man.

Waiiiiit, I just re read that she's now your gf. Take her out on a fancy dince and dance date- but really get over the whole notion of prom.

Don't worry. Your friends will start getting married soon and you can dress up for that. I understand you feel you missed something, but take it from me, prom is just not all that important. You'll do much better things in your life.
    Spammer Spanker

i don't know where you live in the US, but there are cool dinner cruises that you can go on. get all dressed up fancy and have dancing. rent a limo to the cruise, eat, drink dance then take her somewhere to stay afterwards. isn't that what the prom was like? haha, i don't even remember having too much fun at the prom. it was the after party that everyone cared about...we went down the shore and partied all weekend lol

ugh, i had to go to two weddings in the same month. that was torture. but yeah, pretty much the same thing. get dressed up, eat, drink, dance, go home. giga hit the nail on that one lol
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

I've tried looking here:
    [url=http://www.ballroomdances.org/dcny.shtml]Ballroom Style Dances Scheduled on Specific Dates[/url]
    but none of the dances say whether it is black tie, formal, casual ect. I thought I found a good one, but when I called the ballroom for more info it turned out to be a casual dance. I want it to be at least formal.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you're putting wayyyy to much emphasis on this. How about you cater to your girl... what does SHE like doing? There will be plenty of places to dress up. You can do so at xmas parties.

Nevermind, I've already found the perfect event.

Good luck, man. What perfect event did you find??