+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why did a girl lie about her name to anothe girl?

Why did a girl lie about her name to anothe girl?

Before I start shooting my question, I want to thank you all for reading my post. This is not about relationships, however, it has been bothering me.

Today, my friend's gf arranged a surprise dinner for him in a near by city. In order to get me there, she asked her friend A, a girl who I had never met, to give me a ride. I met A on the street, and started talking to her while we were heading to the party. We both recently graduated from college so we started talking about majors, internships, and jobs. 30mins through our conversation, I asked her what her last name was.

She said:"Good question.." and then told me a last name, which turned out to be completely made up. After the night ended, she added me on facebook, and that was when I figured out her prank and started feeling weird.

I told her the reason asked about her last name was because I used to see her pictures through a mutual friend's account. She told me that she liked to pretend. However, what she did to me was something I thought girls would only do in a Bar, to strangers who they have no intention to develop further relationship with. I felt extremely humiliated and even frightened. For the whole night, I was grateful that she gave me a ride and everything I told her was real. Who knows what else she told me could have been fake and how stupid was I to engaged in a conversation with her to talk about her made-up stories.

I am straight, and I am in an awesome relationship with my amazing BF. so really, this incident has nothing to do with me having a crush on her. She is a pretty girl, and she spent time to pick me up and bring me back home for her friend; at the dinner, she was also the patient photographer who took lots of pictures for my friend. I was just shocked that, at the same time, she could be so disrespectful and lied to me because she did not expect any further contact with me.
    So my questions are: Why do you think she made up a fake name? Under what circumstances would you lie about your name to a person of the same gender? Was it possible that I was showing characters of not trust-worthy, and therefore, she lied about her name. Am I over-reacting? Next time when I meet a mutual friend, should I just shut up because lots of people tend to do the same?

I use to only hang out with classmates and roommates. now I am trying to meet more people at friends' gatherings. I actually learned a lot from people out of my field and what this girl did to me has is making me doubt whether I was doing it correctly. I feel talking to new people really helped me to broaden my horizon, so when I meet someone new, I am always friendly and tends offer what I have.
    What happened last night was very shocking to me. I started to think maybe I should have some reserve when talking to people and do not completely believe in what they say because if she lied about her name, who knows what else she could have lied about?
    I was also discouraged that she did not even plan to have any further contact with me even after we talked for 30mins. In fact she probably did not care how I see her since it was easy for me to figure out her real name. For instance, I have her phone number, and I am her friend's friend.

Maybe she has had a problem in the past with a lesbian stalker, and just wasn't sure about you at first.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Guy here.

Honestly, I would regard it as a simple practical joke. Nothing more. Is it safe to assume she is in High School?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTooya View Post
    Guy here.

Honestly, I would regard it as a simple practical joke. Nothing more. Is it safe to assume she is in High School?
    She is 24 and has been working for over a year. We are not kids any more, that was why I was so weirded out.