+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Anyone a full time chef/married to/dating one?

Anyone a full time chef/married to/dating one?

Hi,

I'm wondering how you find relationships work with a chef, beacuse it seems a majority of the time they have really unsociable shifts and lots of late nights. If one partner works say 9 till 5 the chef usually starts about 5 or so, or works all day so I was wondering what it's like?

Thanks

It ****ing sucks unless you also work odd hours, which is why my chef husband pretty much teaches full time instead of working in a restaurant.

There's also the option of working day shifts as a chef, or going the corporate route, like getting a job at a country club or hotel, which has better hours.
    Spammer Spanker

my uncle is a full-time chef and he has really shitty hours too. my aunt has a regular 9-5 schedule, so there are days when they don't really see each other. when he's working during the weekend she pretty much keeps herself busy with stuff. and she isn't an early sleeper either so i'm sure she sees him when he gets home some nights. my aunt has always been a very independent person, so i could see how his work schedule wouldn't bother her too much. i would say that being with full-time chef is only for someone who can handle a lot of alone time and appreciate the time together. i heard my uncle's a slob in the kitchen at home though...haha
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

my last bf was a chef and it worked out ok because i work part-time self-employed. however it was a drag when he wanted to get together after working the dinner shift.... around 10pm and i'd be half asleep. but if i didn't agree to staying up it got a bit lonely at times. and as a true chef he loved to cook even on his days off so i ate quite well. i wouldn't want to do it again though even with all that good food ready it eat in the refrig.

hmmm, ah bugger i thought i'd get answers mostly like this. At the moment i'm working at possibly the worst place in the world the landlady is a complete B**** when it comes to hours. Might have to look at other more suitable places. I still love to cook at home though
    Giga, how come the hours are better at hotels ect? more lunches/breakfasts?

Thanks all