+ Follow This Topic

Thread: He thinks he's too rough for me..personality wise

He thinks he's too rough for me..personality wise

Firstly sorry this is so long
    ok, so I have been seeing this guy for a few weeks just as friends, anyways things are starting to progress and everything was going really well until he made a passing comment, he said that he thinks he may be too rough for me. I'm a bit confused at the moment regarding this comment. I don't know whether he was trying to subtly let me know he's not interested in a relationship or if he's worried he will be no good for me, he also told me i'm a bit niave, should I be offended? I tend to talk pretty sweetly and am polite but am no where as innocent and easily offended as people think I am(don't get me wrong Im not what you would call a bad girl or anything, I'm generally nice to everyone and trusting but still know how to have fun but do have morals)
    I know Im looking too much into this but am so confused at the moment
    Straight after telling me he thinks he may be too rough for me he said that he really enjoys talking/hanging out with me and wants to continue
    Any advice would be great
    Thanks

Sounds like he's got his head up his ass. If a guy talks this way about himself, he's more than likely an insecure jerk.

Guys like these are assholes who somehow manage to glean the attention of younger, naive girls looking for a self-proclaimed "rough around the edges" type. So, if you don't want to be perceived as naive, don't act the part. And by all means, feel free to put this guy in his place since he was more than willing to call you out.

so you think he's insecure? I doesn't come across as a jerk though, he's really respectful. Its weird how you could instantly tell he was older, caz he is. Should I be on the look out for any signs that he's playing me?Also any tips for being less niave?

Does he talk about himself a lot? Not in that, "I like movies, you like movies too?!" kind of way, but in a self-important "check out how cool I am" sort of way?

I do think you are a tad naive, but it's rather rude of him to point out that especially in the context of comparing your personalities. That is not respectful, nor a gentlemanly thing to do.

Guys like this want to know where they stand with people. So, he's setting up the perimeter by placing you in a box he's got picked out for you. He barely knows you. Do something spontaneous and don't call him for a while

Thanks for the advice I am going to apprach with caution, we talk heaps 5 hrs yesterday actually lol he doesn't really try to impress me in the way he talks, he did at first but now we just talk freely, he embarrasses himself a bit with his jokes and stuff but I can totally see where your coming from
    have u had experience with guys like this?

Yeah, and I usually avoid them. If you find him to be respectable, then go for it. I'd hate for a guy to call me out on my personality like that though. Maybe that's just me though.

yeah agreed am gonna give it ago and c how it pans out.
    Thanks for all your advice, I appreciate it

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think he is being an asshole. It is very possible that he is simply being realistic and made a correct judgement about you. Some people ARE a little bit naive, and maybe he IS a little concerned he will hurt you. Maybe he is thinking about your long term well-being, which may not be best served with him in the picture.
    Last edited by vashti; 01-08-10 at 11:13 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Reminds me of the guy who will say 'You are too good for me'. Kind way of trying to let you know, he doesn't see you as relationship material/or when he's having second thoughts, or trying to end a relationship.