+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I keep hanging on to this relationship?

Should I keep hanging on to this relationship?

This is my first post, apologies if it is long-winded. Thank you very much for taking the time to read, I will be very thankful for any comments.

I'm 24, my boyfriend is 26. We have been dating for 3 1/2 years. Recently I have been beginning to doubt whether there is a future in our relationship, and would appreciate some outside advice

I moved to England to be with him in 2008 (we are both originally from Ireland), after we had been dating long-distance for 1 year.
    He is a full time student on his 2nd degree (2 yrs of study left), I've worked full time since arriving in England.
    He absolutely refuses to talk about the future once he graduates (as a doctor). This makes me feel very insecure, as I have left my family & friends to support him, and I work in a job/live in a place I don't particularly enjoy.

In January this year, I attempted to talk about the possibility of marriage... he kept saying it's ridiculous talking about marriage when he is a student, he could never afford it etc. Now, whenever I have a couple of drinks, I tend to say things like 'can you just tell me if I am the one?', which he refuses to answer, and which makes me feel pathetic the next day.

Our sex life has definitely suffered, because I am finding our situation very tiring. I am currently having counselling, as I have suffered with depression for the last 8/9 years. This is one key reason why I would find it hard to leave - he is very understanding & patient with my condition, and he does love me a great deal. I am not unhappy in the relationship (generally) other than when I try to plan anything more than 2 weeks ahead!

To summarise : am I being unreasonable in asking him to think about our future? Is he being a typical bloke? Should I just content myself with the life we have now & what will be will be?

Thank you very much for reading.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    None of the guys I've been with had a problem referring to the future. So like you, I wouldn't be impressed and would probably consider moving onto someone who had a little more balls to confront the future.