+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Are there any firefighters on this forum?

Are there any firefighters on this forum?

Ok, I applied for a firefighter position with the county. I go in for the written test this weekend. Anyway, and perhaps I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, I want to know how shift scheduling works out for you guys. How often do shifts change? What are 'Kelly days'? How much are union dues (typically)? Also, with the amount of days that you regularly have off do you still find the need to use vacation/sick time?
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think firemen work 24 hours on, 72 hours off. I think Kelly days are extra, random days (or time) off to allow for there being no overtime pay. For example, if you work two 24 hour shifts, you would have worked 48 hours in a week (overtime), but if you are given 16 hours off over a two week period, you would still have only worked 80 hours. (Don't know if that made any sense.)

My best friend from nursing school explained it to me this way. She is married to a fireman.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Oh ok. I've been reading on a forum about how the shifts vary widely. Some work two 10s and two 14s before having days off, some work 24 on 24 off 24 on and then 5 days off, while others work 7 days on and 8 off. What I want to know is how these shifts work out for the individuals actually working them, and how often the shift schedules change. I'd hate to get this job with a schedule that my family and I can manage and then get switched to a 7 on 8 off schedule or something equally ridiculous.

I guess if I don't get decent responses here I will have to join that forum too, if only to ask questions.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...