+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parents unsupportive

Parents unsupportive

My girlfriend and I have decided to take it a little more seriously with each other by moving in together. I am 23 and she is 22. I am in the Military full time and she is a graduate student working on her Masters. My parents love this girl, she is a catch as they say. Although, they said that even though she would be the type of girl they want to see me with, they described to me that it is just not the right time. They feel like I am too young and they dont want me to be tied down. Even my Mom said to see lots and lots of girls... She said that my girlfriend is a wonderful girl, cute, intelligent etc but she wants me to be more selfish and grow as an individual person before I get really serious. I see where they are coming from but my feelings for my girlfriend are so strong I cannot just do as my parents wish me to do so easily. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamabeliever View Post
    My girlfriend and I have decided to take it a little more seriously with each other by moving in together. I am 23 and she is 22. I am in the Military full time and she is a graduate student working on her Masters. My parents love this girl, she is a catch as they say. Although, they said that even though she would be the type of girl they want to see me with, they described to me that it is just not the right time. They feel like I am too young and they dont want me to be tied down. Even my Mom said to see lots and lots of girls... She said that my girlfriend is a wonderful girl, cute, intelligent etc but she wants me to be more selfish and grow as an individual person before I get really serious. I see where they are coming from but my feelings for my girlfriend are so strong I cannot just do as my parents wish me to do so easily. Is this normal?
    I can understand that argument, that you should get out there and not be too serious about one relationship, when you're 17 or 19, but not 23. I'd go for it, sounds like you've both found a good partner.

By the way, I assume you're not getting married or planning to have children straight away. All you're doing is moving in together, in which case I can't see the problem

Thank you for the support. My Dad told me that being so young and in love is bad and its...irresponsible/dangerous. Although, I told him I strongly disagree with that. We are NOT planning on getting married soon but we have talked about it. If I were to marry this girl it would be after I have been with her for a least 3-4 years and after I finish my education. Why do my parents seem so unsupportive in my love life? They do not really support any girl I am involved with since I started seeing girls when I was 15. My Dad wants me to be a "playboy". I think he wants to live through me or something.

23 is easily old enough to live with somebody. And it's your life, not your parents'