+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The thing about Evil

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

The thing about Evil

I've said in the past that most people are evil and despicable.

To the latter I hold fast, but I admit the former is just a gut reaction to how truly pathetic and despicable most people are.

Most people aren't very good and most aren't very evil. Humans are, in general, morally neutral. They follow the path of least resistance, and they follow it mindlessly like water trickling downhill through furrows.

If being good is encouraged and rewarded, people will generally try to be good. If evil goes unpunished they will generally do evil.

I was sitting here mulling over the books I've read and I've come to the conclusion that the ones I most enjoy fall squarely in the horror genre. Why? Because writers of horror understand this. Good horror isn't monsters eating people. Good horror is monsters eating people while others look the other way. That's reality. Not the knight charging selflessly to his death to save another. Reality is fear, weakness, cowardice and selfishness--all concealed beneath the comforting blanket of hypocrisy.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I am not evil and despicable. Those people have the loudest voice however so it is easiest to assume that all are like that.

Selfish and dis-honorable behavior is rewarded and recognized these days so are you surprised? You can not even get love these days if you are a real man and those are the true unsung heroes but if they are unsung are you once again surprised you don't know of them? Women prefer greedy stupid men, they buy them shiny things.

“It always seemed strange to me that the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, aquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and selfinterest are the traits of sucess. And while men admire the quality of the first, they love the produce of the second.”

-John Steinbeck
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 03-10-10 at 02:21 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Women prefer greedy stupid men, they buy them shiny things.
    Your ex may have been that kind of woman,...don't speak for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Most people aren't very good and most aren't very evil. Humans are, in general, morally neutral. They follow the path of least resistance, and they follow it mindlessly like water trickling downhill through furrows.
    I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    If being good is encouraged and rewarded, people will generally try to be good. If evil goes unpunished they will generally do evil.
    I agree with the first, but not the second. I think most people don't want to go the morally corrupted way. It's only in emotionally distressing situations or out of ignorace that most people do dispicable and ugly things.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~