+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Recipe ideas???

Recipe ideas???

So, I've started to stay at home and I'm not exactly 'suzie housewife'. I'm trying to up my game and show my appreciation to my husband by making things I've never made before. I used to make easier quick meals, but I've been able to accomplish more advanced types such as pot roast, beef stew, I even made strawberry shortcake for the first time ever today... it was delicious and I'm extremely proud.

I don't know if I'm going to stay home for more than 6 months - a year, so I really want to make what time I do have count.

What kind of recipes are you looking for? Common/basic types along the lines of pot roast and beef stew? More ethnic? Fancy?

I love to cook. I browse a few cooking blogs/websites when I need inspiration. Here's a good one for beginner-ish cooks because of the nice photos and really clear instructions: [url=http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/]The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond[/url]

What style of food? Local ingredients? Stuff that's in season? Meat? Fish? So many questions. I love to cook and love to cook for people - it's a way of showing them that you love them. And I'm sure it's helped me in the dating game!

Quote Originally Posted by MerryH View Post
    What kind of recipes are you looking for? Common/basic types along the lines of pot roast and beef stew? More ethnic? Fancy?

I love to cook. I browse a few cooking blogs/websites when I need inspiration. Here's a good one for beginner-ish cooks because of the nice photos and really clear instructions: [url=http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/]The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond[/url]
    I will try the link, hopefully you didn't vag bomb me like vashi did. I want to make things that actually take time and effort. When I was working, which eventually I will be again, I would stick o hamburger helper, easy salads, spaghetti. I've actually been wanting to make my own spaghetti sauce.
    Sometimes I don't understand the language used in recipes, for the longest time I didn't know what exactly a skillet was....I know sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    What style of food? Local ingredients? Stuff that's in season? Meat? Fish? So many questions. I love to cook and love to cook for people - it's a way of showing them that you love them. And I'm sure it's helped me in the dating game!
    My husband is thai, and I'm SOOOooooo tired to thai food so I want to go country home cooking, or maybe like authentic italian.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I like a website for finding new recipes.

[url=http://www.epicurious.com/]Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides[/url]
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I like a website for finding new recipes.

[url=http://www.epicurious.com/]Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides[/url]
    Not fallin for it, I know where your links go.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's ridiculous!
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's ridiculous!
    Oh wait, I got a good one... please don't tell me that's a link for a recipe on how to cook beef curtains... I'm way too immature for this.

Look up 'The New York Times Cookbook' In one of the editions there was a recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana. I tweaked it to my tastes, but even the original recipe was awesome. You might be able to do it in about 5-6 hours with prep time if you know your way around the kitchen and time everything right. The first few times I did it it took me 8. I then found a healthier and faster alternative to coating and frying the eggplant strips (coating them with bread crumbs and baking them). It cuts out the frying time, eliminates excess oil in the food and lets you do other things while it is baking. It now takes me about 3-4 hours, especially if I do the prep work the day before.

If you're wondering about tastes it is like an awesome (more hearty) lasagna. I can't remember if the sauce was part of the actual recipe, but I make my own sauce with that recipe, and it is so much better than store bought.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkle_jello View Post
    Not fallin for it, I know where your links go.
    Did I miss something? Does this have to do with that thread about vaginal plastic surgery where Vashti mentioned that some women's labia looked like flappy bacon strips?
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Did I miss something? Does this have to do with that thread about vaginal plastic surgery where Vashti mentioned that some women's labia looked like flappy bacon strips?
    Yes, the thread that will give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    what a wimp.

Sometimes I don't understand the language used in recipes, for the longest time I didn't know what exactly a skillet was....I know sad.
    Just ask here. I'm sure you can get some questions answered.

If you want country home cooking, that site I linked is pretty good for that (no vag bombs, sorry).

[url=http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/my-favorite-meatloaf/]My Favorite Meatloaf | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond[/url]
    [url=http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/11/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/]Delicious, Creamy Mashed Potatoes | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond[/url]
    [url=http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/biscuits_and_gr/]Biscuits and Gravy | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond[/url]