+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your partner from another country? Good or bad?

Well my ex was from another country. The Uk, whereeas I live in Holland, just a few hundred miles apart, but a world of difference. The food, the behaviour, the houses, the culture, things that were considered normal but here are different. Trust me, there's a lot, but for me, those things were good, guess it's a matter of opinion. The distance did us in, but the differences I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    This is a huge difference . We have also different cultures, we do... Different traditions... Different habits . We differ a lot . Just because for you a different skin colour is what it takes to make nations different... Well . We may be similar but not the same.
    I didn't mention skin coloir.

I said that Europeans are on and off the same, which isn't the 'same'. Europeans have more in common with each other, than a European does with someone from the Middle East....that is what I was getting at.

I just don't feel the differences are 'that' drastic', between Europeans, that they would be enough to cause problems, like you would have problems with someone from a totally alien culture, ie: a Mid Easterner.

If you want to make a big fuss that your partner dresses differently, or eats different food, or speaks another language...feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_Skye View Post
    Well my ex was from another country. The Uk, whereeas I live in Holland, just a few hundred miles apart, but a world of difference. The food, the behaviour, the houses, the culture, things that were considered normal but here are different. Trust me, there's a lot, but for me, those things were good, guess it's a matter of opinion. The distance did us in, but the differences I liked.
    So what are the differences between the Dutch and the English?

Between the Polish and the English? The French and the English?

A few days ago I was walking into town, when I spotted two guys. I would never have guessed they were not English, until they started to speak in a different langage which was Polish. They looked the same, dressed the same and I wouldn't have known they were Polish if they hadn't spoken.

Then I walk into an area heavily populated with Mid Eastern people and it's like walking into a different country. They speak their own language, dress very differently to what we do and there is a mosque around the corner where they go five times a day to prayer.

Now see what I'm saying? Religion may cause massive problems between couples. Because someone eats frogs legs. I feel would not.....unless you are a petty twat! I'd have no problem feeling at home in France if I moved there...in Pakistan I would have to adjust to a totally unique way of life, to the life I have now.

While there are differences between Europeans, they aren't that different. I don't think so anyway....cept for cusine, langiage or other trivial differences.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 16-10-10 at 12:48 AM.

Maybe you should actually get to know people and travel rather than just basing it on walking down your city streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Maybe you should actually get to know people and travel rather than just basing it on walking down your city streets.
    I don't need to travel anymore to experience a differing way of life or other cultures. We have others coming here and on a daily basis from other countries....a huge influx of Polish in particular over the past couple of years. They are no different to us and they appear to adapt pretty quickly.

In Britain, we can experience India and just by travelling to Manchester, Pakistan and by travelling to Bradford, ChinaTown in London.

And on my travels to Spain, Portugal, Germany....I didn't note that much of a difference. I stil saw people wearing jeans, t shirts, skirts, etc, same as we do. Nothing unusual about the dress. Trivial stuff, cusine, ...a lot spoke good English and of course, they have their traditional cusine.

The differences between Europeans are not drastic, as compared with people from other continents.

Maybe YOU need to travel more.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 16-10-10 at 07:15 PM.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I will spot a Pole without even hearing him talking . The same with German and English. People from Scandinavia have similar looks as well. Spaniards now as well. Most Russians too... There are similarities in looks of every European nationality. Maybe you don't see it azure, but I've spent some time abroad,had to do with a lot of nationalities and it's easier for me. And you can't say that people aren't different just because they wear same jeans and t-shirts , it's silly .
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    I don't need to travel anymore to experience a differing way of life or other cultures. We have others coming here and on a daily basis from other countries....a huge influx of Polish in particular over the past couple of years. They are no different to us and they appear to adapt pretty quickly.

In Britain, we can experience India and just by travelling to Manchester, Pakistan and by travelling to Bradford, ChinaTown in London.

And on my travels to Spain, Portugal, Germany....I didn't note that much of a difference. I stil saw people wearing jeans, t shirts, skirts, etc, same as we do. Nothing unusual about the dress. Trivial stuff, cusine, ...a lot spoke good English and of course, they have their traditional cusine.

The differences between Europeans are not drastic, as compared with people from other continents.

Maybe YOU need to travel more.
    Again, it's all within your borders, where people try to assimilate to the local context. It has very little to do with country-to-country differences, and still remains purely observational.

It's like judging seeking ice-cream flavours in a chocolate factory.
    Last edited by Lipp; 16-10-10 at 07:56 PM.

Between the Polish and the English?
    You're kidding right? The differences are huge. They speak different languages, they have different beliefs and views on society. Their people have a different history with few links to each other's. They have different views on how a family should be raised. They seat on different scales of conservatism and left right devide. Their social views on rights of people are completely different (e.g. on gay people). The inensity of the Religious standing is completely different.

A few days ago I was walking into town, when I spotted two guys. I would never have guessed they were not English, until they started to speak in a different langage which was Polish. They looked the same, dressed the same and I wouldn't have known they were Polish if they hadn't spoken.

Then I walk into an area heavily populated with Mid Eastern people and it's like walking into a different country. They speak their own language, dress very differently to what we do and there is a mosque around the corner where they go five times a day to prayer.
    I believe you are exercising some form of discrimination here. Not all areas populated by middle easterners are like this. The ones on a higher income and social status will be indistinguishable from other westerners. Whereas Eropeans Italian suburbs for instance will look like a completely different country. They will speak a different language, their women will wear black scarfs resembling hijabs, they will kneel before a church in a Religious conservatism and dedication unmatched by others who live in a western country. And then on the other devide visiting a slum populated entirely by white natives is like visiting another country, people there dress funny, crime rate is enormous, they speak a language which hardly resembles english and yet you are saying that somehow these communities have more in common with you than upper class middle easterners who you would confuse for a western if you met them on the street?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just want to laugh when she base her judgement on Polish immigrants in UK lol .
    I wazzzz here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12