+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok guys, your girlfriend has a lot of guy friends

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unless they're gay or she's hideous those guys are definitely out to **** your girl first chance they get.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gratedwasabi View Post
    This is true.

BE NICE AND NON-POSSESSIVE around them. One of the fastest ways to lose a girl is being a jerk and/or super possessive of her around her friends. They'll dump you like yesterday's newspaper.
    Good point and you should get to know her friends
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Areo...Does she spend time alone with any of them, like one on one ? I f she does then that is an intrusion on your relationship and you should be pissed about it.
    You are not under obligation to trust someone whose actions give you cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by lexigon_5 View Post
    Areo...Does she spend time alone with any of them, like one on one ? I f she does then that is an intrusion on your relationship and you should be pissed about it.
    You are not under obligation to trust someone whose actions give you cause for concern.
    This is blatantly false. Don't blame your girlfriend for your insecurities. If you're worried about it, meet her friends.

Almost all of my good friends are women. We hang out one-on-one all the time. I'm also casual buddies with all of their boyfriends/husbands because they wanted to meet/talk to me and then realized, without me being an idiot and saying "omgz I'm not trying to **** your girl" (which is guy code for the opposite), that we were just friends. My best friend is married with two kids, we talk while her husband is at work and hang out because she's bored and he's working/at school. He's talked to me and understands that his wife isn't a huge girly girl and thusly her friends are mostly guys.

Now, the main thing is I NEVER flirt with my female friends. Ever. We talk about sex, sometimes, but never in a flirty way. If you feel like or notice that your girlfriend has guy friends that are flirty with her, THEN you have a problem. As far as I'm concerned, there should be no flirting, ever, between a guy and woman who are just friends.

But to suggest a woman can't hang out alone with a guy friend that's just a friend is absurd and very 1920s of you.

I disagree grated. Guys are too proud to give themselves permission to be jealous even when it's warented and conjour up all kinds of suedo arguments as to why they shouldn't have feelings of insecurity.
    Yes there are insecure people who cause their own insecurity, but for goodness sake....how close does a partner have to get to cheating before we men will give ourselves permission to be jealous.
    There is such a thing as over- righteousnes you know.

@ GratedWasabi: I love when people get attacked for having an opinion (sarcasm). SMH

Anyway, in an age where open relationships and casual sex are the norm it can be expected that people don't think there is any harm in putting themselves in precarious opposite sex situations while they are in a committed relationship. Some go as far to say that nothing is committed until there is a ring. If you are in a committed relationship then you need not put yourself in a one on one scenario with anyone of the opposite sex who isn't family. It can lead to emotional and physical affairs, easily. Sure there are some who have the willpower and sense to not let anything happen, but why even put yourself in that situation? Many people can walk a balance beam successfully, but wouldn't it be silly to walk a balance beam over a shark tank just because you know you can walk a balance beam? The same is true with relationships and opposite sex friends in one on one situations. In group settings this is less of a problem, but the safer and more respectful option is to avoid one on one with members of the opposite sex (if you are in a relationship that you want to sustain).
    Last edited by Incognito; 09-12-10 at 03:03 AM.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

"If you feel like or notice that your girlfriend has guy friends that are flirty with her, THEN you have a problem."

This can also be a trap. Two people can think they are safe from cheating because they don't flirt with each other. This then enables them to get to know each other better which is how relationships start in the first place.
    Its not just about whether your partner might be sleeping with someone else. You also have to consider if they are putting themselves in a situation where feelings can develop to the point where they can become conflicted.
    These days people seem to separate friendship from romance when in fact the best relationships include it. Building a strong friendship one on one makes a strong foundation for a lasting marriage, so if i am in a relationship with a woman who insists on spending time alone with a particular male friend then naturally i am going to wonder which one of us she really wants to be with for better or worse if you know what i mean.

truly if a girl is in love she will have no need for guy friends

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12