+ Follow This Topic

Thread: For what reasons would someone argue that cheating is ethical?

For what reasons would someone argue that cheating is ethical?

Its for a paper. Other than that, I am curious because I cannot think of much!

I can't think of any good reasons, but both Ayn Rand and Jim Kirk could probably provide some decent quotes.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

People argue that because their spouse is "withholding" that it gives them no choice. Others say that as long as the spouse does not find out that it is not really cheating. Still others believe that cheating is bound to happen after being together for a long time and therefore it should be expected and tolerated once or twice as long as the relationship remains intact (I'm lookin at you Indi). I personally believe that all of those opinions are flawed beyond belief, and absolutely disagree, but I hope it helps you with your assignment.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Some people also classify different actions as cheating (like sex is cheating but kissing is not). Some people also do not consider emotional cheating to be true cheating. Then there are others who have open relationships where cheating is completely taken out of the equation.
    I hope this helps.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Personally, the only time sleeping around is ethical, is if it's an arrangement or agreement between all parties.
    Even the ethics around that could be argued.

I'm not sure if a paper on the ethics of sleeping around is really a good topic. Ethics is is a social moral system, and arguably, there are very few situations where it's socially acceptable. We tolerate it, but it's still unethical.

Morally on the other hand, it's far more debatable.

Personally, if it's ok with your partner, there shouldn't be much of a moral issue.
    Outside of that, I think many people have different reasons to justify sleeping around, if they even need to justify it.

I do believe that if your partner is not interested, they really don't have any right to complain about seeking it else were.
    After all, it's we don't have a right to 'make' them, so why do they have the right to disallow you?
    Though, at the point, you should be making it clear that you're looking for it else where.
    Ethical? Probably not. Moral? Eh. I have an issue with the moral aspects of it, hence why I havn't done it yet.

While I stand by commitment, I find it hard to defend 100% when a partner withholds.
    Is it selfish? Damn straight. We all have needs, and in many cases, when a partners fails to meet anothers needs, it's acceptable for them to bring it up and try to resolve it, and it's perfectly acceptable to make ultimatums. Unless it involves a vagina of course, then your just a pig.
    Green!

You need to define what you consider as cheating. To me cheating is 'breaking the rules/understanding'. It is not an open relationship if both parties have previously agreed without reservations. No rules were broken if both parties agreed.

Is breaking an agreement with your significant other ever ethical? - my boyfriend and i have an agreement that we are mutually exclusive, however if kim jong-il said have sex with me or I'll bomb South Korea, I would say I would be ethically bound to have sex with him. So only in some off the wall far fetched situation would it be 'ethical'.

Maybe cheating in a way to catch a dangerous criminal.

^^^??? Grammar..... grammar....
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

What if you have an abusing bf/gf and then you meet someone who treats you nicer and with affection, causing you too get emotionally connected with someone else, leading up to more.

also if your partner doesn't seem interested in sex, either work on it, or finish the relationship. Though I can see why it could cause someone to cheat. especially if you still love your partner but you need to be sexually fulfilled.