+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Flirty Co-worker. Any male/female advice would be greatly appreciated!

Flirty Co-worker. Any male/female advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm in my early to mid 20's and I recently began working for a new company about 5 weeks ago. There is a cute girl that works in my department, who happens to be a couple of years younger than me. She has a boyfriend, but there have been times at work and happy hour when she has gotten very friendly/flirty with me, and she has even given me compliments on my looks. I will provide details below, but I would really like some advice on how to approach my friendship with this girl. The approach that I have taken so far is to move very slowly and see where things go. My job is the most important thing right now and I want to stay focused at the workplace. But I'm torn because I really like this girl and she has given me plenty of reasons to believe that she likes me too.
    I went out to happy hour recently with her and a bunch of our coworkers, and her boyfriend came as well. Over the course of the night, she:
    1. bought me two drinks
    2. asked me repeatedly about this girl that I'm kind of seeing
    3. gave me compliments on my eyes
    4. played darts with me
    5. and touched my but (in addition to other minor physical contact)
    6. all of this was done with her boyfriend in the same bar!!!

I played it cool and had fun socializing with her all night. She's a very friendly, fun-loving type of girl. I'm really confused and I just don't know where to take things from here. I know that some girls are just huge flirts and lead guys on. Even though she gave me compliments, I didn't say anything to her that would lead her to think that I was hitting on her or anything. I figure I could always say something next time we were out and her boyfriend wasnt there.

I would really like to get some thoughts from guys and girls.....what are your thoughts? What kind of advice do you have?
    Thanks so much

Friends zone. Second you said your job is the most important thing. Well if you want to keep your job you better delete any thoughts of getting with this girl. Intimate relationships at work can either get you fired or cause a hostile work environment when things go sour. If you make a wrong move on her she could even place a sexual harassment case against you. Best be keeping you relations unrelated to work and that means away from co-workers too.

Friends for sure. Girls like to get attention in the office especially if she thinks you are cute, but thats all, at least at the moment.

do your work stop focusing on the ladies, especially ones with a boyfriend in tow.
    If she breaks up and comes onto you thats a different story, but you'll be better off focusing on your job rather than a nice piece of ass
    Take my word for it, she's not gonna do your weekly shopping for you

To everyone who has replied so far: Thanks for offering your thoughts/advice....Just a quick comment or two that I didn't mention in my original post...her boyfriend actually works in the same building as us, several floors down from where we work. I understand the danger with "office-relationships", but she is already seeing someone from our office building. And not to sound cocky, but I have this guy beat when it comes to physical appearance. Finally, another girl who works with us (whom I'm not attracted to) was totally hitting on me, and she's engaged!!!! I overheard her saying at one point that she would "do" me.

@smackie9: I appreciate your honesty. Toward the end of the happy hour night, I was chatting with some people by the bar, and that's when she started touching my butt. When I turned around and noticed it was her, I gave a bump on the arm and a friendly tap on the butt. I didnt think much of it at the time b/c everyone was loose from drinking all night, but now that I think about it, I probably should not have gone there. What do you think?

@Cat&Dog: She is definately one for wanting attention.

@SapphireBerry: Love the picture And thanks, I will take your word for it. I guess that's where I was getting confused...the whole "coming on to me" deal. At one point, she totally stopped what she was saying and said to me "yout have amazing eyes by the way". I took that as a "come on" at the time, even though I just smiled and said "I do what I can" in a joking fashion. I was just shocked that she was doing all of this with her boyfriend present (even though he wasn't right in the action most of the night). What exactly qualifies as "coming on" to me?

Coming onto you is usually when they say something suggestive, a casual compliment on the other hand, well it's slightly different, I could look at you and adore your eyes and I'd probably tell you about it ya know? There's nothing wrong with giving the odd compliment to a guy who isn't your boyfriend, as you complimented me before, thank you for that

See? Happens very often, she must have a flirty nature to do foreword things while her boyfriend is in the same room, but they might not be a big serious couple who don't allow each other to communicate and flirt around with other people. I would take a guy coming onto me when he starts to say "I wanna kiss you right now" (when he's not drunk) or "I am quite attracted to you" or anything about you two going somewhere private or being alone, that stuff could commonly happen at a bar when someone's coming onto you. Don't look too deep into it but she may be attracted to you, but I just wouldn't make that move on her and by the sounds of it neither will she. I wouldn't look way too deep into this or put any time or effort into it, if you two are meant to hook up it will happen, but she's caught up right now with someone else, not much you can do, besides some hot girl might apply for a job near you in another month

I disagree, I think it was a complete come on. I would take the bull by the horns and ask her out. Either she wants to go out with you or they are in an "open" relationship and want to date other people or possibly "include" you one night if you get the idea. Flirting like that definitely is a sign that she wants it, and she wants it from you. I would go for it.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You do realize she can totally come on to you but in her frame of mine you ain't getting nothing from her. She's got a man. She just wants to prove to herself that "she still has it." If she "gets you" she wins, you lose becasue she's staying with her bf.

My advice is leave her alone. Tell her you're uncomfrotable with all the action when she's got a good guy at home (bad looking don't mean he ain't a good guy).

I'm a bad person, I've done shit just like this. Played with guys, made them want me, "won" them over, but never left my bf.