+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Worrying greatly on something little.

Worrying greatly on something little.

Okay, so my girlfriend was out last night and had her first drink. We've been an entirely sober couple, and I have expressed my concern about this and she's just doing that "It's my life" thing and to stop worrying. I know this sounds wimpy but it's such a big deal to me right now. I keep thinking that she hangs around with bad influences, but I don't want to be that sort of guy that restricts her on what she does. She's been just so... oblivious to how much I've been worrying about this... I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions on getting her to understand my concern?

Tell her -once- how you feel about the issue, then shut your trap.
    Since I assume no ones an alchy in this, you're being unreasonable.

Your partner is not required to live their life according to what you see is fit or not.

If you don't like, and it bothers you so much, maybe you should find someone who shares some of these core beliefs with you. If these issues are unreasonable, or in excess, I'm afraid your just a reserved control freak.
    Green!

Bleck, how old are you? If she is not a very young teen, I don't understand why one drink would concern you at all? Did she really have a single drink? What exactly are your concerns about this?

I think she's being oblivious to the situation because your concern is irritating her, she wants to do what she wants without feeling like you're fathering her. It's not like she went out and got wrecked, when she starts doing that then you have something to be concerned about. And who doesn't really drink today?? A large percentage do, one drink wouldn't kill.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireBerry View Post
    And who doesn't really drink today?? A large percentage do, one drink wouldn't kill.
    Why did I expect anything from this forum?

Why are you a sober couple? Is it a religious thing?
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Can you elaborate on why it matters to you so much? It would help us understand your concern a lot more, I think.

As a nondrinker, I don't have a problem with people drinking, but I can see how it changes their behavior. I kinda don't like how people act when they're drunk, which is part of the reason why I don't drink, but I think it's entirely reasonable for someone to enjoy a drink every now and then.

Are you concerned that she'll flirt with other guys? Would you be okay with her drinking if you were there? Are you concerned she'll like the lifestyle, find you boring, and start hanging out with these other people and drinking more/doing other drugs?