View Poll Results: Do you have what it takes to cancel your TV?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I've done it too!

6 50.00%
  • Yes, I'm going to do it now.

0 0%
  • Maybe. I'm thinking about it.

0 0%
  • No. It sounds awesome, but I can't get access to my shows without it.

1 8.33%
  • Screw that. TV is awesome, I'll never get rid of it.

5 41.67%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: canceling my TV was an awesome decision

LOVE my 50" plasma TV, plus our DirecTV. Never had a problem with them & I've had them for a few years now.

Can't live without my TV & HD channels either.

Sonrisa, I used to be a Survivor fan. I watched nearly every episode up through the end of the Fans versus Favorites season before I finally got burned out. But I don't think I would want to watch it in HD. There's some things that I just don't need to see in high definition.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Sonrisa, I used to be a Survivor fan. I watched nearly every episode up through the end of the Fans versus Favorites season before I finally got burned out. But I don't think I would want to watch it in HD. There's some things that I just don't need to see in high definition.
    i've seen every season of survivor since i came to this country, it's highly visually stimulating to me and pays off to see the beautiful scenery in HD
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    i've seen every season of survivor since i came to this country, it's highly visually stimulating to me and pays off to see the beautiful scenery in HD
    I've never seen Survivor. I don't know why either, I guess maybe I just didn't have much interest in it?

My friend however is a huge fan, she has watched every season. Even love the show to the point of don't even think about calling her during the show...lol

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovable View Post
    I've never seen Survivor. I don't know why either, I guess maybe I just didn't have much interest in it?

My friend however is a huge fan, she has watched every season. Even love the show to the point of don't even think about calling her during the show...lol
    i am the same way, i won't pick up the phone even if my mom called
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

lol...

I have a few shows that I'm like that with too. Bones, Criminal Minds & CSI I don't want to be bothered while watching them. Of course I get a call that I don't pick up, the the pain in the a** man will try to distract me for the hell of it. LMAO...it doesn't work though all that happens is a smack in the back of the neck for him...lol

I gave up TV in February and don't miss it at all. I can watch films on the computer, Youtube etc. But I love BBC Radio 4 via the net

Im with boisdevie. I can give up on tv cause I can watch everything on my computer. It's easy to give up on TV if you're a computer user. As for when I watch TV, I only watch for sport, nothing else.

Since it ties into the topic at hand, how many people prefer to download a show from the internet to watch on their computers/laptops as a posed to watching on tv? I think number must be growing exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfisher View Post
    Since it ties into the topic at hand, how many people prefer to download a show from the internet to watch on their computers/laptops as a posed to watching on tv? I think number must be growing exponentially.
    yeah, i'd much rather download than watch on TV. it avoids commercials and you can watch it at your own pace on your own time. in my ideal world i would be more interested in paying for downloads of recent TV shows or access to different channels websites where i can stream their shows online. for now, most of my shows are streamed online a day or so after it airs...commercials are still a bit annoying, especially since they do the same ones over and over, but still much better than watching it on TV.
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

That's what DVR's are for, you can record the show(s) you want & watch them later on your TV.

I don't know I guess I would much prefer watching my 50" TV than the 24" computer monitor. I can relax more watching TV than watching a show/movie on my computer.

To each their own though.

you misunderstand. my computer IS hooked into my TV. i watch all my shows online on our television. i have a docking station which is permanently connected to my television. i hook my laptop in and can pretty much do whatever i want on my computer on my TV.

and i slightly agree about the DVR. when i did have cable we had a DVR and i would only watch my shows after i had recorded them so i could fast forward through the commercials. it was very convenient...but i just can't account for the $90 TV plan compared to our $65 high speed internet.

but you're right...to each their own. i just wanted to put some info out there because i don't think many people really KNOW about what's available to them instead of TV. it's easier to just go with the flow and what we've been doing for forever rather than look into other options. i was one of them...my bf had been trying to cancel TV for a full year and half before i was willing to give it a try. just wanted to say that all my anxiety about it was for nothing, i'm really very happy without it.

Yeah I did misunderstand, my bad.

No I think this thread is a good idea as you are right, people don't know that there are cheaper/better ways to get entertainment other than the norm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12