+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Vampires anyone? Lynsay Sands? Stephanie Meyer?

Vampires anyone? Lynsay Sands? Stephanie Meyer?

Yes, I am a fan of Twilight, and Underworld and all vampire movies going.
    But what do I prefere more than twilight and vampire movies?

VAMPIRES BOOKS! Honest to god I think I love books as much as sex.... And thats ALOT.

My favourite 3 authors have to be

1) lynsay sands
    2) charlaine harris (trueblood series)
    3) stephanie meyer

What about yourself? Anybody got any vampire stories to suggest?

Don't know the first author.. haven't read the second yet, love True Blood Though. Adore vampires for about 16 years now too. But Twilight, seriously? vampires that sparkle? haven't read them and won't. That's vampires light for me. Give me Anne Rice, Bram Stoker's Dracula, or carmilla even. Vampires need to be bad. Let me dig into my vampire collection, and I'll get back to you.

My two favorites are Fevre Dream, by George R.R. Martin, and The Book of Common Dread, by Brent Monahan.

Fevre Dream takes place around the time of the Civil War, along the Mississippi River. Imagine Stephen King and Mark Twain writing a book together.

The Book of Common Dread takes place in a more modern setting, on an Ivy League university campus. While there is a love triangle, there is also a lot of action and some interesting ideas. There is a sequel, The Blood of the Covenant, but it isn't necessary and is only average in quality.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_Skye View Post
    Don't know the first author.. haven't read the second yet, love True Blood Though. Adore vampires for about 16 years now too. But Twilight, seriously? vampires that sparkle? haven't read them and won't. That's vampires light for me. Give me Anne Rice, Bram Stoker's Dracula, or carmilla even. Vampires need to be bad. Let me dig into my vampire collection, and I'll get back to you.
    I like to think that everybody can have their own adaptation and opinion and view about what think about Vampires, I guess stephanie meyer isn't your thing. If you prefere the more mythical/historical vampire then lynsay sands isn't for you, because it's more based around logic/science, you'd have to read them to understand, but in my view they're great, and definately sexy.

But gimmie trueblood any day, I bloody LOVE those books, im trying to pace myself on them because i'm nearly onlike book 8 already in like a few months heehee

Meeee ♥

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    My two favorites are Fevre Dream, by George R.R. Martin, and The Book of Common Dread, by Brent Monahan.

Fevre Dream takes place around the time of the Civil War, along the Mississippi River. Imagine Stephen King and Mark Twain writing a book together.

The Book of Common Dread takes place in a more modern setting, on an Ivy League university campus. While there is a love triangle, there is also a lot of action and some interesting ideas. There is a sequel, The Blood of the Covenant, but it isn't necessary and is only average in quality.
    That sounds quite good, I have been looking for some new books/series that I need to get into with vampires, because i've about read them all, i've read all the teenage ones in the teenage section in waterstones, but i got bored and decided I neeeded something more adult and 'exciting' (you get my drift heehee) so i brought lynsay sands and OMG she has detail and sexyness about her writing its unbelieveable haha

so if you have any other good series to suggest go ahead, even if its no vampire im up for anything so long as its not something like the da vinci code (love the film but cant read the book lol)

Meeee ♥

Have you seen Let the Right One In yet? That's an excellent swedish movie about a vampire. One of my friends read the book and said that was also great. My sister is a big fan of the True Blood tv series, and she really liked Let the Right One In.

Non-vampire? Hmmm. You might like Last Call, by Tim Powers. It's set in modern Las Vegas, and involves gambling, Tarot cards, mobsters, Jungian archetypes, and the Fisher King. EDIT: it's the first book in a trilogy, too. The upcoming fourth movie in the Pirates of the Caribbean series is also going to be based on one of his early works, On Stranger Tides. It's about time, since the first movie was obviously stealing a lot of ideas from that book.
    Last edited by VincenzoG91; 25-09-10 at 01:58 AM.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    I love Fevre Dream. Huck Finn with vampires--back when vampires didn't glitter or engage in meaningful romance.

Are you a fan of GRRM's other works? Song of Ice & Fire is just about the most entertaining read I think I've ever stumbled across.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

On the other hand, I suggest that you avoid vampire novels published by White Wolf. Their World of Darkness setting is interesting, but their fiction is targeted primarily at people who play their role-playing games. And based on the one book I read, I suggest that you avoid the Anita Blake series. My sister is a fan of those books, but the one I read was a really trashy R-rated version of Twilight, complete with a love triangle involving a male vampire, a male werewolf and a human female. Actually, you might like that, but just know that the series keeps getting trashier and kinkier with each new book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Are you a fan of GRRM's other works? Song of Ice & Fire is just about the most entertaining read I think I've ever stumbled across.
    Yeah, I'm a fan of nearly everything he's written. But I no longer recommend that Game of Thrones series to anybody, because I don't think he is going to finish it before he dies. Or after. It's been 14 years since the first book, and he has only written three of the six remaining books. Martin is 61, and a large, unhealthy-looking guy. And he seems to be struggling with a massive case of writer's block.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I do agree with you there. It's unfortunate. I'm dying to know what becomes of Tyrion, dammit.

And to think, the series was only supposed to be three books long. Now I think it's actually blossomed into 7. He split his fourth book in two, so he's actually written four novels so far but he's still got at minimum another three tomes to pen.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

In Martin's defense, he genuinely seems to be just telling the story, not milking it for extra money like that scoundrel Robert Jordan and his Waste of Time series. Aside from Wild Cards, Martin traditionally wrote stand-alone novels, each time creating a brand-new setting and characters that he never used again.

ANNE RICE!!! She is amazing!! The Vampire Chronicles are great!! There are quite a few of them. Interview With the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat etc. etc. I've tried reading the Charlaine Harris books because I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE True Blood, the show, but I wasn't a huge fan of her books. I love the Twilight books. The movies are pretty good as well.

so far for me the best vampire entertainment i consider is the vampire diaries.. i start watching it as girls keep on talking about Damon Salvatore

If you like her movies try reading Christine Feehan books carpathian series awesome read all men should be like they are trust me read one you will be hooked
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I love Fevre Dream. Huck Finn with vampires--back when vampires didn't glitter or engage in meaningful romance.

Yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES YES.
    I always find myself at the library, finding a seemingly interesting vampire book, then after reading the summery about how one of the characters is in some type of romantic relationship, I swiftly place the book back on to the shelf in disappointment. It's so. Irritating. It's like you can't find a decent vampire book with the classic vampire lore anymore. Everyone is day walkers now, everyone can choose to not drink blood, everyone is trying to live normal lives, everyone is eating McDonalds. F*ck that sh*t.

When I was younger, I was a serious vampire buff. I read SO MANY vampire series, most of which has already been mentioned. Then Twilight came along, and ruined things. It made me a bit embarrassed to like them so, and suddenly when you said you were in to vampires people automatically think you were one of those weirdo Twilighters.

Ann Rice will always and forever be the queen of Vampire Lore. Bram Stoker and Ann Rice, they are the crowned royals of that genre.
    Has anyone read the Vampire Huntress books? Sorta like an Urban Buffy the Vampire slayer. The books started off really well, but by the 4th or 5th, I simply just got sick of the 'I want you so bad, but we can never be, yes we can, no we can't! Fine, we can only spend one night in your fabulous apartment in the sky, but you better not knock me up! Uhhh-oooh.' Between Damali and Carlos.

Or the Marquis De Sade Vampire books by Mary Ann Mitchell? I feel like they are way better than Charlaine Harris's series.