+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Obligation????

Obligation????

I'm a 22 year old female from Madison, Wisconsin. I was adopted by age 5. I am constantly asking myself what I did wrong to be put up for adoption. I tell myself that I'm a burden on other people and that any future boyfriend will be feeling forced or obligated to have sex with me. I wasn't good enough to be loved by my own family, so there's something wrong with me. I need some other people's perspectives on this.

Grow up count yourself lucky you were hand picked and there are some out in the world that dont get adopted and what bout your adopted parents they are your real family
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Quote Originally Posted by hopeudance View Post
    I was adopted by age 5. I am constantly asking myself what I did wrong to be put up for adoption.
    I'm not the biggest expert on this matter, but I'd say there's nothing a 5yo can do wrong that will make her/his parents put her/him in adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeudance View Post
    I'm a 22 year old female from Madison, Wisconsin. I was adopted by age 5. I am constantly asking myself what I did wrong to be put up for adoption. I tell myself that I'm a burden on other people and that any future boyfriend will be feeling forced or obligated to have sex with me. I wasn't good enough to be loved by my own family, so there's something wrong with me. I need some other people's perspectives on this.
    Most children that are given up for adoption are given up for reasons that have nothing to do with the child being "bad". Sometimes it's a teen mother, sometimes it's a drug addict, or a financial issue. I know someone that gave up a baby for adoption when she was in college... she got pregnant and didn't want to be a mother, so she gave the baby to somebody who DID. It would've ruined her life AND the baby's if she'd kept him, and she didn't feel comfortable with an abortion, so she had the baby and did a private adoption with a couple that wanted kids and couldn't have 'em.

Instead of focusing on the fact that somebody gave you up, why don't you focus on the fact that somebody CHOSE you?

Well. If someone truly does fall in love with you. They won't feel they are obligated to have sex with you. They'll feel they want to have sex with you because they love you and want to share that experience with you.

At least that's what I think. If someone I was dating or in love with told me they were adopted that wouldn't change the way I felt about them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you!!! a lot of people are adopted!!! .. and a lot also have a lot of insecurities about why they were put up for adoption. More than likely your parents couldnt give you the time and love you deserved and saw this and gave you up because they wanted you to have a better life than they could give you....
    adopted or not, no one is going to feel obligated to have sex with you... its not a factor for them.. in fact, they probaly don't even know your adopted...
    good luck and please, feel better about yourself... you deserve more than you give yourself credit for
    Hunter S. Thompson once said "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

You're being self centered by focusing on this..move on with your life, you were fortunate to be adopted as adopting parents are usually very caring and commited to a child...too much self pity and analysis...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.