+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Confused and sad

Confused and sad

I met a wonderful man just before christmas and we hit it off straight away. I had never felt such a connection with someone ever before in my life and he said the same. I was working abroad over christmas and we texted and spoke all the time and grew very close. When I got home we started dating and everything was perfect between us apart from the fact that his business was failing. Eventually he has made the decision to put it into liquidation and ever since he started the process he has been so stressed and worried which I totally understand and I just want to be there for him. Two weeks ago we had a lovely evening together and were very close as always, we avoided talking about the problems until the end of the evening when i mentioned that I was there if he wanted to talk....I watched the colour drain out of his face and he became so down so quickly, saying that he had no future to offer me etc. two days later he told me that he couldnt be in a relationship at this time but wanted to stay close friends. He is a very proud man and I know all the problems he has at the moment are making him feel like a failure but I just cant reach him emotionally at the moment. We have met as friends and had a nice meal together, just talking about things in general....I feel the spark is still there between us, but when we are apart he gets so distant. I am hoping that this situation is a direct result of his problems and that given time and space he will come back to me, I really dont believe he can just switch off so quickly and that everything that is going on around him is just making him feel that he cant cope with a relationship at the moment. I have taken a step back and will be there for him as a friend but I am in love with him so its not easy. Im hoping that with a little time and hopefully when he sorts his life out and is able to get another job and car and start feeling good about himself again, that then he will be able to think about us as a couple. He always told me I was special and that he had never met anyone like me???? I will wait as long as it takes for him but I just miss "us" soooo much

Well the loss of his business has taken its toll on him. Just continue to be there for him, but make sure to protect him and prevent him from doing anything irrational if his sadness gets the better of him. He wants to prove to himself and others that he is not a failure. I'm sure once that is over with, he will want a relationship with you so don't feel sad about things for now. Just be there for him. That's probably the best thing you can do for him at the moment.