+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My gf wants 2 weeks to decide whether or not to dump me

My gf wants 2 weeks to decide whether or not to dump me

So we've been together 2 years. And today she tells me she needs time to think..2 weeks. Now she didn't say she needed the time to decide to dump me, but that's basically what it means.

So now I'm totally distressed and feel like a rock is lodged in my chest.

What should I do in the meantime? Do I sit around and wait for the ax? Preemptivly dump her?

Advice appreciated,
    An anxious guy.

Why 2 weeks?

Perhaps 2 weeks is how long she's giving her new 'love interest' to make a move on her, perhaps??

I always find it odd when people ask for space. I wonder if they are requesting space and space away to get up to other things that they perceive to be far more important than you.

I'd turn the tables on her and totally agree that you both need space and that you have been thinking about requesting space for quite some time and you are pleased she suggested it.
    It then appears that you are the one who is requesting space and you are rejecting her. And if this girl is still in love with you, she's gonna worry that you are feeling this way and run back licking your ass!

Reverse psychology works a treat sometimes.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 09-03-11 at 02:41 PM.

She is tired of you and it looks like she is applying somewhere else like anyone would do with their job and give their 2 weeks notice.
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

Get some serious bro time in. Head to the bars with the guys and have some good nights out. Do things you wouldn't typically do and stay focused on your friends. This will do two things, give you a backbone and some hope, and let you see the single life. Maybe you'd enjoy it too? I think it's a win win whether you stay with her or don't if you take that two weeks to do the same. Sitting around alone thinking she's the only leg to your table is risky business. Go out there and remember you got other legs too, and if one falls your still standing.=)

Everyone here is saying the same thing as I'm about to say....
    she is checking out someone else.

Tell her that you don't need 2 weeks to decide what you want to do, and dump her.

You let her get away with this, if she does come back because guy #2 wasn't so great after all, she will think it is OK to do this again and again as other guys come along. She obviously isn't happy with you if she is doing this 'break' thing and seeing if another guy is more suitable. So make it a permanent break instead of letting her put you through hell everytime she wants to check out someone else.

like everyone else is saying, i'd use some reverse psychology on her. she says she wants two weeks, you do the same thing too.. this gives you some control to help make you feel less helpless. I also do agree that it sounds like she may be doing some shopping around in this time to see if she can't find someone else that is better.... but if she doesnt... she is still making it so she has you. I'd be a little concerned about that being a possibility.
    worst case scenario, even if she does remain with you -- I am a little worried that this may affect your relationship long term.... not that you would intentionally hold a grudge against her for this, but subconsciously.... i think you will.
    good luck anyway!
    Hunter S. Thompson once said "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

Change your facebook status to single and start going after other girls during these 2 weeks.

Truthfully, you should just spare the games and break up with her and tell her to come find you if she decides she does want a relationship with you.
    Last edited by BackUpOrGetStng; 09-03-11 at 10:53 PM.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yep, time off to persue someone else. I did the *exact* same thing, and it was because there was another guy. In the end I went running back to my now ex. We were together another 2 years but it was never right, he shouldn't have taken me back and I shouldn't have gone back.

I just went through a similar situation actually. She wanted a month off, for what reasons? I still have no clue. But that doesnt matter now.
    Anyways when she told me that, I decided just to end the relationship then and there. I ended it on peaceful terms...You are either together or your not, why 2 weeks? Why a month? Its dumb and makes no sense, just dump her nicely and move on. Its going to be hard but do you really want to be in a relationship like this? And you let it go once, whats going to keep her from doing it again?
    Last edited by rico22; 10-03-11 at 12:11 AM.

It is possible she is looking at another guy, but you don't know for sure. Right now, the only thing you know for sure is that she is requesting 2 weeks off of your relationship.

There is not much you can do here. I wouldn't break up with her just because she asked for two weeks. Only break up with her if you wanted to already.

I agree with the comment about getting in some bro time. Concentrate on other things in your life. Your friends. Your interests. Your hobbies. Your work. Your classes. Etc. If you find you don't have enough to do to fill up two weeks worth of time, that might tell you something about your dependency on this relationship.

Good luck!
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

theres another guy. this is typical excuse.
    people need breaks. relationships are 24/7.
    You don't need to be put on hold, like some 2nd class citizen.
    It's over already. Just finish it neatly as stated above.

Thanks for the advice all.