+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I have broken up?

Should I have broken up?

I'm genuinely unsure if I've made the right choice breaking up with her yesterday. Can you help me figure out whether or not we should get back together?

She's beautiful, funny, smart, supportive, shares lots of the same interests as me, shares a friend circle with me and loves me.

I broke up with her because I don't love her as much as she loves me. Also, I'm twenty and feel like I'm missing out on lots of life experiences by being in a serious relationship.

How rare is it to find a good person that loves you? Should I sacrifice my potential life experience to be with her? Could I grow to love her as much as she loves me?

It's breaking my heart to see her like this.
    Last edited by Sam Simmaroo; 08-11-10 at 02:52 AM.

What experiences do you feel you will be missing out on? Other women? If you're able to say that she loves you more than you love her, then you don't deserve the love she gives you. The way you speak about her is as if she's some object... quit playing with her feelings, jerk.

After breaking up with someone, I think pretty much everyone at some point goes "Oh shit, what have I done?" And it's even worse when the other person is really torn up about it. You made a decision, now stick to it. It wouldn't be fair to toy with her by going back and forth.

Thanks. I needed to hear that.

you should always be certain before breaking up with someone. let me tell you, from my experience finding someone to love you is few and far between. i too had the thought running through my head that i'd be missing out on the uni experience being in a relationship, but seriously after sleeping with a few girls, going out with my mates loads ... its get boring. nothings as good as sharing someone with someone you care about, but thats just me.

you've made your choice and obviously don't think the same as me which is fair play. you need to stick to your guns. you've made her feel like shit and its the worse feeling in the world. she'll survive though and get stronger for it ... its shit, hard and sad, but you obviously dont wanna be with her and making up due to sympathy is never the right way to go.

If someone loves you yet you don't love them in the same way, then you still shouldn't feel obligated to settle and out of fear of hurting them. You should let them go and to find someone else who will love them and move on to someone who you will give 100% of your love.

You are only 20 and you have your whole life ahead of you. A multitude of people have yet to cross your path and one of those people could well turn out to be the 'love of your life' and then they may not.

You don't settle for someone that you don't really love and because you are afraid of meeting no one else !!!! You would be there for all the wrong reasons!!

Also I'd suggest that you try being alone for a while and give relationships a rest. There is more to life than being partnered.

In every relationship, there is always someone who loves the other person more. Its just how it is. I dont think that you needed to break up with her, you could have had a mature discussion with her about needing to take the relationship less seriously. Your right, a serious relationship inhibits fun, especially at a young age. If she can be mature about it and see it from your perspective, I see no need to end it.

Tell her you want to continue seeing her, but things need to say pretty casual. =) GOOD LUCK!
    Hunter S. Thompson once said "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

Sam I'm in somewhat your same situation but I haven't done it yet! I just posted in the Love Advice forum but with a lotttt more info haha.

These replies are somewhat mixed... "you should always be certain before breaking up with someone" and "You should let them go and to find someone else who will love them and move on to someone who you will give 100% of your love." I'm 21 and I'm not AT ALL certain but entirely agree with the 2nd statement which is why I'm considering it...