+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Jumping into life, the hardship

Jumping into life, the hardship

Well I might have a problem with this and it might be from being to spoiled or having a nice life. But I'm 18 years old now, just got my drivers license, and I know I have to get a job. But I don't want to, I feel it will be hard to do that while studying for college, and balancing working out, band, hobbies, and events. But I want to be successful and on the right foot. But I don't know if I'm mentally ready for that because I get paranoid with certain life situations, you know something like getting pulled over, or getting fired, or common sense things I always seem to screw up in. Like for example when I drive by my self I do pretty good because there is no pressure but when I'm with my dad, or someone else I feel pressured and make more mistakes for some stupid reason. But these are just small things that I feel will happen if I get a job. Its just a lot of stuff. And if I don't get rid of this paranoia I feel that I won't ever be fit when I get married and become a father.

You are catastrophizing. Stop it. Look at each fear at a time and ask yourself following questions. Take your time with each question and be honest about it.
    1) What is the worst that can happen?
    2)What is the best that can happen?
    3) If the worst happens can I live with it? (hint the answer to this one is always yes. No matter what happens you can always pick yourself up and try again or move on.)
    4)What is the most likely outcome?

This is a very easy exercise that forces you to evaluate your fears. All fears lessen, once you shine the light of consciousness on them. If you stop and take the time to answer these questions you will improve so much, I guarantee it.

One last thing, you are very young and are going through a major life transition. Life transitions are difficult for everyone. Use this time as an opportunity to take charge of your thoughts, actions, and life situation. Confront your fears, reach out and start building and living the life you want to live.